Can I bypass my fridge thermostat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I have a wine refrigerator set up as a fermentation chamber with a Johnson A419 temp control. It's worked well for me for the past year, and I'm able to keep my fermentation temp within 2 degrees of my target. My problem is that I can't get it below about 42 degrees, as the built in thermostat is only made to go down to about 45. I'm curious if I remove the + and - leads from the T-stat and connect them will it effectively take the built in T-stat out of the loop and allow the compressor to stay on longer to get me down to lagering temps? Is this risky at all?

There are also a couple of other leads connected to the thermostat that turn the light on and off. Do I need to worry about these? I can post a pic of the wiring going into the the thermostat if need be.

Any help is appreciated!

Yes you can bypass and get cooler temps, but the compressor is sized for the fridge and its normal target temps, so in extremely hot conditions you could cause the compressor to overheat.

I'm not too worried about the fridge being in higher temps, as it's in my apartment which doesn't get much sunlight in the room it's in, plus our A/C is always on in the summer since we have a dog. I just want to be able to lager in this fridge without having to replace it, or start a fire in my apartment! So will connecting the + and - leads which connect to the t-stat effectively bypass the t-stat?

Latest posts

Back