Just Got a GREAT DEAL...HELP Please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outcastjra

Reaction score
Hi to all brewers!
Here's the deal, I got the best deal of the year!
Let me explain, I bought a package deal from a guy getting out of the hobby. This what I got- a mini brewer 15G, large cooking pot I think 10G or more with the bottom thermometer, 2 carboys, 3 buckets, digital scale, hydro meters, capper, cleaning supplies, all the brushes one could ever need, 2 cases of large pop top bottles, etc, etc, etc!
Along with all of this I received a ton of ingredients which is where the help comes in to play! How much for all of this- $350. That's it!!! AWESOME!
So I am ready to put the mini brewer into work!
With that said here’s the list of ingredients-
- Pilsen Malt Extract= 20lbs
- 60L= 5lbs
- Carapils= 6lbs
- 120L= 17.2oz
- 2 Black Patent= 16.6oz
- Munich= 17oz
- German Hallertauer= 8.6oz
- Torr. Wheat= 4.6lbs
- unmarked item the looks like torr wheat but darker brown= 27oz
- 20L= 3.4lbs
- Amarill= 2.5oz
- Perle= 1oz
- Sterling Pellet Hops= 1lbs
- Centennial= 6.2oz
- Cascade= 2oz
- Glacier leaf hops= 1oz
- DY62 yeast dry= 11.5g
- DY65 yeast dry= 11.5g
- California V ale yeast WLP051 liquid
- German Ale/ kolsch Yeast WLP029 liquid

What would you guys suggest I could make from this list of items?
I love dark honey brown ales, also German Hefewizen, and anything with full flavor. What I don't like is skunk beer... Being a little new to brewing I would love some help! I have done 20 plus batches, mostly kits though. I just started to learn the ropes of trying my own thing. However the last thing I want to do is waste my ingredients on junk beer. So please let me know first what you think of the deal? And 2nd what recipes would work with the list I gave above? I look forward to everyone’s ideas! Oh and pics are coming for you guys!
Thanks
Joel
minibrewer.jpg

equip.jpg

pots.jpg

ingred.jpg

more.jpg

more2.jpg

wow. that's awesome. im jealous. how did you come about this deal? craigslist?

i've seen brew kettles like the big one there at my lhbs for like 350+ dollars.

Yep good ol CL, a brewers dream at times!
One hell of a deal. There is even more stuff I didn't list or show in pics.
Like taps, lines, books, filters, bags, etc...
Man I was super happy about this deal!!!

that is a dream come true.

im not sure because i am new to brewing and only been to my lhbs once (40mins away order stuff online) but im pretty positive that 15gal brew kettle you have there is worth more than what you payed for everything.

How about a nice pale ale to start with?

6.5 lbs of the pilsen extract
1 lbs of the 60 L crystal malt
0.75 oz Centennial (60 minutes)
0.50 oz Cascade (20 minutes)
0.50 oz Cascade (5 minutes)

I don't know the DY62 and DY65 yeasts, I think that's how Safale used to label their yeasts, perhaps? You'd want to know what they are, for sure, before you pitch them in a batch. For instance, they could be lager yeasts that would really mess up your beer if you ferment them at ale temps.

You could use the California V with this recipe.

Congratulations on all your new equipment!

great deal! you could use 4lbs torrified wheat, 6 lbs pilsner. 1-1.25 oz hallertauer (depends on the aa), and that dy65 to make a hefeweizen.

9lbs pilsner, 1/2lb munich, and the other .6lbs wheat, along with 1 oz perle (60), 1 oz sterling hops (30), and that kolsch yeast for a good kolsch ale

You might consider trying the free trial of http://www.beersmith.com/ to play with your recipe a bit so you can get the scale correct for 12 gallons. I don't know much about that extract that you have, but I think it should be pretty close to 1lb per gallon or so for a normal gravity beer which would be somewhere around 1.04 or 1.05 reading on a hydrometer (did you get one of those? you need one).

The recipe's above look to be for a 5 or 6 gallon batch, so you might double those numbers and see what beersmith says.

OFF TOPIC:

I don't know when you bought that Fat Tire, but I assume it was near the holiday season. If not, then be warned, it's from the holiday season.

I had a six pack of it given to me by a friend about 3 months ago, and it was terrible. That beer does not age well at all, and this was 3 months before now. I would recommend tasting a bottle (if you haven't, they may be fine?), and if it's bad just dumping the lot; that's what I had to do (unfortunately).

Good score, just make sure all the ingredients are fresh before brewing up a batch. Sometimes people let stuff sit idle for a long time before selling it off. Hard to part with the hobby.

The bud light is for the friends that drink weak beer, the cider is for the wife, and the fat tire is my everyday beer that I love! Its a great score! Thanks for all the replies!!!

I have to think the seller's AA sponsor made him sell it...no other reason for basically giving the buyer $3K plus. Great deal, congrats.

OFF TOPIC:

I don't know when you bought that Fat Tire, but I assume it was near the holiday season. If not, then be warned, it's from the holiday season.

I had a six pack of it given to me by a friend about 3 months ago, and it was terrible. That beer does not age well at all, and this was 3 months before now.

I had some 2 Below and absolutely fell in love. Found another 12 pack a month later, bought it, and was sadly disappointed. I don't think their stuff has a very good shelf life. It's awesome fresh, but it doesn't keep well.

Awesome score, outcast!

Back