sweeten and bottle carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theguy

Reaction score
I have a batch of cider this will be finished soon. I wanted to sweeten with some apple juice I saved, but I also wanted to carb it. Most of the threads I have came across are doing one or the other. So my question is: is it possible to sweeten with apple juice and bottle carb? If it is possible, how should I do this?

I'm pretty sure the apple juice will ferment out, leaving very little sweetness. AND, if you add apple juice to any priming sugar, you could have boms on your hands. I had to throw a batch away earlier this year after priming with just apple juice - just miscalculated - and had several bottles explode.

I just back-sweetened a brown I just bottled using Splenda - I was kind of worried about using Splenda (actually Kroger brand), but my LHBS guy said he read a pretty extensive report that stated that Splenda imparted the least flavor of any artificial non-fermentable sweeteners (including Stevia). I'm still waiting on the final carbed version, but at time of bottling, it tasted pretty good.

I'm pretty sure the apple juice will ferment out, leaving very little sweetness. AND, if you add apple juice to any priming sugar, you could have boms on your hands. I had to throw a batch away earlier this year after priming with just apple juice - just miscalculated - and had several bottles explode.

I just back-sweetened a brown I just bottled using Splenda - I was kind of worried about using Splenda (actually Kroger brand), but my LHBS guy said he read a pretty extensive report that stated that Splenda imparted the least flavor of any artificial non-fermentable sweeteners (including Stevia). I'm still waiting on the final carbed version, but at time of bottling, it tasted pretty good.

Just curious, how much priming sugar did you use? A lot of the other threads I came across suggested using splenda also.

Just curious, how much priming sugar did you use? A lot of the other threads I came across suggested using splenda also.

If I remember correctly, I used a cup of splenda which should have been equivalent to 10 3/4 oz of cane sugar. If I did my calculations correctly, this would have added 5-7 pts to my FG, which was 1.006 pre-splenda-addition. So, maybe it's giving the impression of a FG of 1.013. I've got a few weeks before I try it, so I'll just have to see...

Back