Willamette hops addition times??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
making jamils choco porter right now, and instructions do not say when to add the 1 oz of willamette and then the 2 oz of willamette, nor the 1 oz of kent. does someone know when i should add these and for how long? the boil is just about to start. thanks

Want to know somethig cool I learned from reading "Homebrewing For Dummies"?
I learned how to pronounce Willamette. (It's Will-ammit, Dammit.)

It is difficult to answer this question because there are a large number of variables. First variable needed to answer this question is the % alpha acid of each of the hops that came with the kit. Second is what is the target IBUs of bitterness the recipe is supposed to come out to. Also the type of kit is also important. Is this an extract kit? Is it a partial boil or a full boil? What volumes? What grains are invloved and how much? Unfortunately all of these variables come into play to answer your question so it is impossible to answer this question with the information given. Here is a website that you can use to perform these calculations Beer Recipe Calculator
The target bitterness for a brown porter is 20 to 30 IBUs. Anywhere in that range would work great. I would suggest right in the middle.

Latest posts

Back