Beer bottling cap/ cork question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhulancorp

Reaction score
Is there any way to cap beer bottles (500ml standard ale bottles brown) without that tool people tend to use? Do I really need to spend more money on more kit? Can I use a wine cork or reusable plastic cork? Sorry if this has been covered before I couldn't find the thread
Thanks

I suppose you could, but I think the opening on a standard 12 oz beer bottle is bigger than the opening on a wine bottle so you'd need to find appropriately sized corks, which I'm not sure exist. I don't know what you mean by spending more money on more kit as your original kit should have included a capper.

You will need a capper. if you were trying to cork you would need a corker. Either way you have to buy another piece of equipment if you don't already have it.

Not sure where your from, but theres a local microbrewery here near Vancouver BC called Howe Sound Brewing (http://www.howesound.com/home.aspx) that bottles their beer in 1L Grolsch style swing-top bottles (example: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/case-of-12-16-oz-ez-cap-beer-bottles-amber.html). I got some of my buddies on board and we drank nothing but Howe Sound for awhile until I built up a collection. They also sell the bottles for .25 for used or .50 for new in the brewery, but it was kind of out of the way for me.

I'm pretty sure that Grolsch is available pretty much everywhere but I see these style bottles up on craigslist on almost a weekly basis when people do the switch from bottling to kegging and are looking to liquidate their bottle stock, if you're looking to save some cash. They're also available from almost any homebrew supplies shop/website.

Money an issue. Use santized plastic pop bottles with screw tops. Work good...look bad. Also must protect the beer from light to prevent skunking in the clear bottles. Also 40oz beer bottles work really well.

Thanks everyone. I've already bought a load of glass beer bottles so I guess it would be a waste of money not to buy the capper too!
Thanks for your help

Back