New Hop Variety: Belma- Puterbaugh Farms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pellets had a dankness to them. A little onion. But a sweet red gummy bear also came through strong.

Going for broke. About to draw the second runnings for an all Belma IPA.

Using the entire pound in a 8 gallon batch!
:tank:

edit the next day to say:
Hit all my numbers and Denny's had a full krausen in less than eight hours.
Hoping for good things from this batch. Don't let me down Belma!

Last night i brewed a hop bursted pale ale. 39 IBU's, all in the last 20 minutes of boil. 3oz of belma, and 1.5 oz of cascade. Planning on dryhopping with 1 oz of belma and 1 of cascade. I'll come back and offer my thoughts on this in a few weeks.

I started drinking my belma hopped amber. The flavor, while being subdued, is a berry citrus with a finish of spice. It came through nicely and I will have more beers with belma in a supporting role.

Brewed a Kolsch last night with the Belma. When I opened the sealed bag, I got a nose full of fresh hops. I guess I'll see how subtle these are in about a month. For $5/lb I couldn't resist
7.8 2-Row
2.8 Crystal Wheat
.7oz Belma 60min
.3oz Belma 15min
.3oz Belma 5min
WLP 029 Kolsch

Fermenting at 60F

Brewed a Kolsch last night with the Belma. When I opened the sealed bag, I got a nose full of fresh hops. I guess I'll see how subtle these are in about a month. For $5/lb I couldn't resist
7.8 2-Row
2.8 Crystal Wheat
.7oz Belma 60min
.3oz Belma 15min
.3oz Belma 5min
WLP 029 Kolsch

Fermenting at 60F

I mis-read this as 7/3/3 oz and was confused when I saw the malt-bill/style.

:cross:

Ok, I brewed up a borderline IIPA today (11 gallons). Simcoe FWH (all out of CTZ) and then 2 oz of Belma @ 15/10/5 and 3 oz @ flameout. It's about 80% Vienna malt as I'm trying to get rid of old(er) malt as new stuff is coming in.

Anyway, the only way I can explain the flavor/aroma is 'lemony'. Upon opening the bag I was expecting more citrus but got a lot more grassyness. However, the wort doesn't smell grassy at all, more lemony than anything. I think this flavor would pair really nicely with a summer-style beer, maybe a Blonde Ale or a really light lager.

I'll report back once fermentation is complete, should be about 2 weeks.

I got my pellets in with my Amarillo and Citra orders, and the pellets are do have the berry aroma when you rub them in your fingers. I also too, got a slight citrusy lemon smell. Then it has the grassy overtones. Slightly sweet, and pungent.

Here's the recipe for the American Amber hop bursted with Belma

5.5 gal, 83% eff.

68% 2-row
20% Munich
10% crystal 120
2% crystal 80

For the hops I divided the 2 oz I had into 4,1/2 oz portions
I'm brewing this now and plan on using them at 30, 20, 10, and 1 minute.

Yeast, S-05

OG 1.056, FG 1.015, 15 SRM, 33.4 IBU (tinseth), 5.5% abv, (4% abw)

I'll keg this in a couple of weeks and then give it a week to carbonate, so I should be able to tell everyone how it came out in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the hops Dave, :mug:

Today seemed like a good day to post up what my results were. I dry hopped with an additional 2 oz of leaf belma hops for 10 days. Now that it is carbonated and chilled in the keg, there is an orange aroma and taste. The flavor/aroma is there, but it doesn't have the nose or taste that a cascade or centennial does. The taste and aroma is a very light orange, almost star fruit like or some other tropical fruit. It's good, but not potent. I would recommend this hop for bittering and light flavor, but not aroma. I should do well when paired with a stronger flavor/aroma hop.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
16 lbs Pale Malt - 2 Row (Cargill) (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 92.1 %
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.3 %
10.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
1.00 oz Marynka [8.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 15.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Marynka [8.40 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 14.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 7.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 5.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 8 0.9 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 9 -
3.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Base recipe from NB Breakwater Pale Ale recipe.

I am lust getting this to secondary tonight but using 4 oz instead of 3. Tried a little during transfer and this is a very smooth bitterness. Almost a bit "Lemony" I would say this hop would be a good base bittering hop in the recipe I posted but keep the original citra dry hop. Guess I will see how this is after a couple weeks.

Ive also picked up a lb of Belma leaf. After reading most of the reviews ill be brewing up this
7lbs German Pils
1lb C10
Mashed 149
.5oz belma@30
.5oz belma@15
.5oz belma@0
1oz DH 4days
US-05

Edit. 5.5G 1.044SG, also increasing to 1.5oz@0

chuckstout said:
Ive also picked up a lb of Belma leaf. After reading most of the reviews ill be brewing up this
7lbs German Pils
1lb C10
Mashed 149
.5oz belma@30
.5oz belma@15
.5oz belma@0
1oz DH 4days
US-05

How many gallons?
Sounds like a nice dry easy drinker to me. Let us know how it turns out.

Keep the reviews coming. I'm sitting on a couple pounds not really sure how I want to use them.

I think a nice pale is something to start with.. It's what I did, but took it more than a pale, and less than an IPA.. Personal preference.

I think from what I've read, and found in using them myself.. They would be nice in a session ale, or a saison coupled with another hop.

I did a SMASH with these, CMC 2row, 4oz belma at 20min and less, wy1007. I get melon, tropical fruity and orange. I can see these being well liked when mixed with other American hops in a APA or IPA but I personally can't see much other use for them. One comment I got on it was "It is like drinking a flower" Distinctive and pleasant but not my thing. I am not a huge fan of American hops though so take this with a grain of salt if you are.

After I read everyone's reviews I changed to an IPA and made this last night:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.5 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 14.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - First Wort 80 min Hop 4 17.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 15.3 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 15.2 IBUs
3.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 18.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 8.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Aroma Steep 30.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 11 -

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.8 %
Bitterness: 75 IBUs
Calories: 178.9 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 7.7 SRM

Racked over to secondary today after 4 weeks of primary. Filtered with a nylon hop bag and Racked onto 3 oz. of Belma, whole hops. It is at the FG of 1.011 . The smack pack worked well and I used a swamp cooler for fermentation. Now with my new chest freezer I will be able to cold crash these leaves out. I cold crashed the primary at 40ish degrees for a week so it was remarkably clear, which was nice as well.

I have to say the flavor is fantastic. It is orange, yet spicy sort of like chinook. If this tastes as good carb'ed as it does right now I will definitely be making it again.

IMG_20121212_163710.jpg

IMG_20121212_174607.jpg

Im sorry but I dont really like the Belma that much. I used a lot of it in the boil and then dryhopped with it. But I had to add some better hops to make it tatse decent. Gawd and I bought 2 lbs of this stuff too.

it's quite clean when used for bittering. save it for that.

I agree. It's super for bittering. I really love the bittering I get from it in my IPA.

I'm extremely happy with the way mine turned out, but I paired it with Galaxy and Cascade.

I think Chinook and Belma, as FWH for bittering, then hit both of them mid boil, and toss in some Simcoe and Amarillo.... Yes ma'am... Spicy, Piney, Earthy, Berry and Citrus.

I agree. It's super for bittering. I really love the bittering I get from it in my IPA.

I'm extremely happy with the way mine turned out, but I paired it with Galaxy and Cascade.

I think Chinook and Belma, as FWH for bittering, then hit both of them mid boil, and toss in some Simcoe and Amarillo.... Yes ma'am... Spicy, Piney, Earthy, Berry and Citrus.

would drink/10

would drink/10

Might be my next brew, actually. I have a ton of Chinook leaf, and 2 lbs of Belma, a mini boatload of Amarillo, and I can pick up plenty of Simcoe from my LHBS.. Might give it a go, in a nice simple IPA, with some 2 row, munich, vienna, and a mix of C40/C60.

After tasting mine, I agree this has bittering and some aroma. As for flavor, it is way, way too light to stand on its own. I am going to let a few people try mine as is but after they do, I am going to put an ounce of Citra in each keg for 10 days. The flavor is like rinsing watermelon rind in water then drinking it. Bitterness is very nice and smooth. Aroma is almost orange/strawberry mix. I think something like a Citra or Galaxy combo with this would make a super summer beer.

After tasting mine, I agree this has bittering and some aroma. As for flavor, it is way, way too light to stand on its own. I am going to let a few people try mine as is but after they do, I am going to put an ounce of Citra in each keg for 10 days. The flavor is like rinsing watermelon rind in water then drinking it. Bitterness is very nice and smooth. Aroma is almost orange/strawberry mix. I think something like a Citra or Galaxy combo with this would make a super summer beer.

Great comparison.. The watery melon flavor. I get that. I don't get quite watermelon, as I hate watermelon, but I do get the light melon, berry flavor from it.

Anyways.. Galaxy and Belma are a killer, killer combo. Balance the two ends with something everyone loves, like Citra or Cascade and it's good.

Amarillo would make me squeal with it. :)

Just kegged my Belma Blond/Pale. I ended up dry hopping a little longer then wanted 8 days
1.042SG, 1.008FG
7lbs pilsner
1lb C10
75 min mash 149
90 min boil all flower hops
A pinch of Belma@FWH
.5 Belma@20
.5 Belma@10
2 Belma@0 and waited 10min before started chilling
1oz DH
US-05
Ended with 5G in the Keg
I will post back here in a week or so on flavor up dates when i can sit down to a pint or two

Well as everyone else described very light melon berry quality, for my late additions still had a nice clean bitterness. Seemed to add extra pleasent mouthfeel. I used leaf hops they seemed to be a little browned around the edges, maybe the pellets have better aroma. All things aside if theres any left(havnt checked) im going to order some pellets to sub anywhere I would have used magnum before, for bittering

ForumRunner_20121228_232751.jpg

One thing to add to the conversation - I've been dry hopping 4oz whole hops in the keg now for about 3 weeks with zero grassy flavors-super clean

shoreman said:
One thing to add to the conversation - I've been dry hopping 4oz whole hops in the keg now for about 3 weeks with zero grassy flavors-super clean

Mine smelled super grassy when I racked to the keg, after 10 days on gas, I didn't get any grassiness at all (1oz FWH, 1oz @ 10 and 2oz dry hop).

I just kegged a belma IPA tonight. I used 2-row and c-15 for a base, 1.5 oz Columbus fwh, and 4 additions of 1.5 oz of belma at 20, 15, 10, and 5. Dry hopped with about 3 oz belma for 6 days. It smelled melony, almost like Granny Smith apples too, for whatever reason. Put it on 30psi gas until Monday, and I'll pull a sample New Year's Eve to try it out. I'll post notes then...

Ive had a couple more pints of the Belma Blond I think im starting to really in joy its flavor. I just want to keep bringing the glass to my lips, then its empty. I just bought a saison strain (i believe wlp565) and from some of the suggestions to go this route im going to use the same recipe just sub the us-05 with wlp565, cheers

Yeah, my Belma/Galaxy IPA is half gone already.. I took some out of town in some growlers and it was the first gone of the mix.

Anyways- I'm thinking a Saison will be the next thing I do with this.. Thinking a spicy and fruity saison. Chinook, Amarillo and Belma.

I took a taster of mine tonight... Aroma was a little melon, and a little fruity. Taste was mild, but not bad. Would be good in a cream ale vs IPA, unless you throw in some galaxy or citra too. The Columbus, in retrospect, wasn't a great idea, but not a terrible beer by any means. I'll use it for bittering for sure, though.

Im tasting my single hop belma ipa. I FWH'd it, kettle hopped and dry hopped. The dry hop is def on the berry-fruity side (as opposed to citrus or pine), and the bittering has a spicy side. I don't agree that its subtle, but its not strikingly distinctive like all-simcoe would be. So, it was a good exercise and at $5/lb a nice hop!

A friend just gave me a bag of Belma pellets and, having not heard of them before, I stumbled across this thread in research.

Am I wrong in thinking that, after a ton of excitement for Belma, it wasn't all that great in the end? There seemed to be a lot of "I just brewed this and can't wait to report back." And then not as many reports.

Anyone try bittering or hop bursting a summer wheat beer with Belma? That's where I was thinking of going with what I was given. Or bittering my white IPA, which dry hops with lemongrass and sage.

I like belma a lot. I think people were expecting the next citra/simcoe but it is not that kind of hop. It adds a spicy note when used mid boil, a berry note when used as aroma, and a nice creaminess when used as a dry hop. None of those things are bad, but they aren't going to make it a great stand alone hop either. YMMV

Latest posts

Back