Propane Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just upgraded my system to the 10" burner. But really, any of the ones you listed will work fine. There is a place just down the road, in Lumberton, that stocks those same burners. Agri Supply. The stands may be a little different.

is there a minimum BTU's that I need for 5 gallon batches?

No there isn't a standard number. Get the SQ-14. It puts out 55,000 BTU's and has a big enough frame do you'll be able to upgrade to a larger pot eventually. We've done testing and the SQ-14 can get 10 gallons of water boiling in ~40mins.

-Ben

I purchased the SP10 from Amazon. IMO it is the best deal out there for propane burners. The SP10 has a 185K BTU output and you get free shipping when purchased through Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the sp10. I have one and love it, I do 10 gallon boils in a keggle. If you plan on going to bigger batches/kettle then get a grill grate and lay it overtop so that the kettle can sit stably.

I purchased the SP10 from Amazon. IMO it is the best deal out there for propane burners. The SP10 has a 185K BTU output and you get free shipping when purchased through Amazon.

I disagree. It's aprrox 3 times the heat output (3 times the propane usage) but you won't cut your heating times by 3. I'll go with the efficient SQ-14.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the sp10. I have one and love it, I do 10 gallon boils in a keggle. If you plan on going to bigger batches/kettle then get a grill grate and lay it overtop so that the kettle can sit stably.

How long does it take to boil 10gals with your SP10? Reason I ask is we've done extensive testing with boil times of a keggle vs a kettle using the SQ14

I disagree. It's aprrox 3 times the heat output (3 times the propane usage) but you won't cut your heating times by 3. I'll go with the efficient SQ-14.

That's why you have a regulator. Higher output when you need it and lower when you don't.

Back