Converting Pin-lock to Ball-Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGyver22

Reaction score
I recently got two pin lock kegs from my neighbor - very nice of him. Of course, all my stuff is ball lock. I either need to convert them over, or trade for some ball locks. I know ball locks are a bit more of a premium so I'd trade 2 for 1. Anyone in/around Houston up for a swap?

I know the conversion isn't too difficult, but I've been crazy busy lately and it doesn't look like it will slow down til after Christmas!

Yeah, there are conversion kits, its too incredibly easy to warrant giving up 2 kegs for 1.

Unless they are the shorter fatter kegs & don't work with your setup id say just convert them.

relax, have a home brew.

I just did the cornykeg conversion and it took less than 5 minutes. it took me longer to find a wrench than do the conversion.

MacGuyver22

Your PM box is full.

My friends are actually leaving at 2 PM on Thursday.

Perhaps it isn't in the cards this time.

Another "+1" for the cornykeg.com conversion kit. I have four of them and they work great. They are better than some of the others I've seen on the web because they are SS and not aluminum posts.

They also come with new universal poppets. If you haven't used these before, they are great. I'm switching out all of my existing poppets with these.

Reviving an old thread because I had a (I hope) relatively simple question.

I have a pin lock keg that I want to convert, and those cornykeg replacement posts look perfect. I have never actually kegged anything, and am setting up my system for the first time, so bear with me.

From what I read, the easiest way to vent a pin lock is typically to just press on the poppet on the post for the gas-in side. Which I gather is at the center of the post when looking down on it, and that a chopstick or screwdriver works well.

So my main question is: If I replace the existing pin locks with ball locks, can I still vent the pressure by poking the poppet with a chopstick, or is there something inherently different with ball-lock posts that don't allow this? If I can't depress the poppet to vent a ball lock post, I assume I would have to either replace the entire lid or the pressure relief valve. Neither of which scares me, but if I can save $15 and a bit of hassle, I would prefer to.

Thanks!

That works fine with ball locks. I have some conversion posts too, love 'em.
You could replace the lids or add pressure relief valves if your not happy/comfortable with pressing poppets.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Also, after researching it a bit more, is it even really necessary to swap out the posts? Could I just have one keg with a pin-lock quick disconnect and two ball locks with their type of disconnect, since they all just have barbs out from that point? I understand some people prefer the ball lock style posts because the pins on the pin locks can be a bit fragile/tempermental, but is there any functional reason why you can't just use both?

You can absolutely mix and match kegs in a system. Pin locks are shorter and larger diameter, so many use them for how they fit in the keezer. They are generally cheaper too.
By configuring your draft system that way, you may be dedicating a particular keg to a particular faucet, but if that's not an issue to you then have at it.

Back