lots'o honey hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
how does this sound?

6lbs 2 row
2lbs 6 row
8lbs wheat
3lbs munich
3lbs crystal 60
10 lbs honey (added at flame out)

Wyeast 1010 AM WHEAT

1oz of each:
fuggles, crystal, amarillo and simcoe for 45 min

1oz of each:
fuggles, crystal, amarillo and simcoe for 15 min

it falls just within the WIZENBOCK category, *shrug* with all that honey i'm thinking of mashing between 150 and 155 to up the unfermentables to balance out all that honey.

Is there enough 2 row and 6 row to convert all the starch?

Enough 2 row and 6 row to convert what starch?? What is the expected OG? That is alot of honey. Also, if you want to increase the UNfermentables, you want to stay away from the low 150s for temp... you will want to mash 155-158... 150 will be pretty fermentable.

Pol

The Pol said:
Enough 2 row and 6 row to convert what starch?? .... ..... That is alot of honey......

Pol

Gotta convert the starches in the wheat into sugars. There is also starch in the 2 row, 6 row and munich. all 3 of those have enzymes to break them down though. Wheat dosn't have enzymes to break its own starch down =( My brother wants a honey flavored hefe, so we're putting a buttload in at flameout. :) we're splitting the cost on this batch. :rockin: OG at 70% brewhouse efficency will be 1.076 and at 80% it will be 1.083.

How big of a batch? 3lbs of crystal is a LOT. This whole recipe is a lot... this is a 1105 OG even WITHOUT the honey, if you're planning on a five gallon batch... with the honey, 1174. Ten gallon batch, I presume?

Wheat can convert itself (there are 100% wheat beers out there), as can Munich. No need for the six-row.

With all that honey, you are making braggot, not beer. If the honey isn't pasteurized, make a BIG starter or the natural yeast in the honey will win.

P.S. this will take a long time to ferment and age.

first of all, 2 row has enough enzymes in it to convert itself and probably its own weight again in somthing without enzymes, its not un-common to get 70% wheat 30% 6-row hefes.

Secondly, to be plainly honest with you, I think that beer will be disgusting... and thats being brutally honest. Firstly, you are looking at an extremely high ABV beer with a HELL of a lot of sweetness. 10 pounds works out to be 5 kilos, which to me sounds like one very over the top beer. The honey wheat I brewed, had 2.1 pounds of honey in it, and after aging, was sweet enough. You are going to want to balance the hops with somthing citrusy and orange like to balance out the honey flavour, because that is going to be more like a mead hybrid then an actual beer.

So no, I would not go with 10 pounds of honey, I would go with maybe 4 pounds and if that was still not enough, you either really like honey or you can just up it some more. You dont need to listen to my opinion, but im just letting you know that will be one really bad beer... not only that but you want to UP the unfermentables? meaning a sweet malty taste.... your going to have a really sweet, malty brew. I would drop some honey, if its a 10 gallon batch (which I hope to god it is) try putting in 6 pounds of honey and mashing low to get less malty....

anyway, thats just my 2c

:mug:

oh, btw, this will be a 12 gallon batch, derr!!! I have used smaller amounts of honey in 5 gallon batches with good results so I thought i'd step it up a notch. Would be like putting 5 lbs of honey in a 6 gallon batch. I've done 3 and had great results on a 6.85% batch so 7.5ish% batch of beer it's more a % than previous encounters but i think it'll turn out pretty good. More honey flavor. I'll also be adding 3 lemons worth of juice to 2nd.

the_bird said:
How big of a batch?... .....Ten gallon batch, I presume?

Wheat can convert itself (there are 100% wheat beers out there), as can Munich. No need for the six-row.

Yes, actually 12 gallon batch, and I diddn't know wheat had enzymes in it! This excites me! Is the enzyme punch as powerful as 2 row? maybe i'll cut the 6 row out, drop the 2 row by half and add the remainder back with wheat!.... hmmmm

Grimsawyer said:
I diddn't know wheat had enzymes in it! This excites me! Is the enzyme punch as powerful as 2 row? maybe i'll cut the 6 row out, drop the 2 row by half and add the remainder back with wheat!.... hmmmm

As long as it is malted wheat...

Some people include the 6-row to more husks to help with the sparge. Rice hulls would also work.

ok, so if the wheat is malted... I think i'll cut the the 2 and 6 row as well as the crystal 60 out. I'll up the wheat to 16 lbs, up the munich to 4lbs and add in 2lbs crystal 80. That will give me 16lbs of wheat to 6 lbs barley. (and 10 lbs honey:rockin: ) That will give me a little over 60% wheat(not counting the honey). That'll still be right at 40 IBU's too.

That is what I meant... what starches... wheat can convert itself, all of them can convert themselves and then some. Wheat is not an adjunct....

Pol

Malted wheat has nearly as much enzyme as 2-row. Flaked wheat does not have enzymes.
As was mentioned, if you use large amounts of wheat you may have problems sparging. Wheat does not have the husks like barley. If you use more than 50% wheat you may consider adding some rice hulls.
Craig

Rice hulls, eh? :) About how much should I use with this amount of wheat?(also, the malted wheat thing got me thinking, is rye malted too?, little off topic but what the heck! :) )

You're going to add lemon juice to the secondary? I think that's a bad idea.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the honey? Why not use some honeymalt?

Back