Substituting light DME for English Pale Ale LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riko

Reaction score
I want to brew the West Coast Blaster recipe in "Brewing Classic Styles" and have a question about substituting dried malt extract for the liquid malt extract that the recipe calls for.

The recipe calls for English Pale Ale LME and Munich LME. I have a bunch of light DME and am wondering if it's OK to substitute that for either or both of the LMEs. Would the difference mostly be in color, or would the flavor, gravity and other factors change, too?

Okay for the English Pale, but substituting for the Munich would make a noticeable impact on the flavor.

Just brewed the recipe and I substituted Light DME for the English Pale Ale LME because I couldn't find it locally and didn't want to have it shipped. I am not worried in the least bit.

Thanks for the info.

I'm now seeing that my local home brew mart doesn't have any munich extract (dry or liquid) in stock. A google search led me to a thread where Jamil himself said:

Munich malt will self convert, so for extract brewers, I'd suggest just doing a mini mash when the amounts are small. You just need to hold it in a small amount of water around the mid 150s (F) for about 30 to 45 minutes. Then just rinse like you're steeping.

I've never done a mini mash before. The recipe calls for 0.7 pounds of munich LME. To do an appropriate mini mash, how can I determine how much munich grain would I use?

Would it be OK to add the munich grain to the other steeping grains, or do I need to mash it separately? If separately, how much water is "a small amount of water"? Do I put the grain in a muslin bag, then put it in the water for 30-45 minutes, then add the water to the kettle?

I've never done a mini mash before. The recipe calls for 0.7 pounds of munich LME. To do an appropriate mini mash, how can I determine how much munich grain would I use?

I know this is old, but I thought I'd answer your question if people ask it again in the future. In Jamil's BCS book he has the all-grain substitutions as well. He says to replace the Munich LME with 1 lb Munich malt and mash it at 152 F. An easy way to do a partial mash can be found here. Just follow the instructions to mash the Munich malt then continue with your boil and add your British Pale ale LME to that.

Back