5 gallon buckets $1.98 at Lowes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They had these at my local Home Depot for about $3 and another $2 for the lid. Yes they are food grade and seem to be more translucent than ale pales. But they also have more markings for litres and gallons. Another thing is they had a padded handle. I would have boughten some if they were 6 gallons.

Well if thats the case they would be great for secondarys, Get rid of all that open head space in my bigger buckets.

Beerzoid: We know about the Homer buckets from Home Depot. There's people around here who have been using them for years. In my case, I don't have a Home Depot locally, but I do have a Lowes.

I just need to know if the Lowes buckets are #1/#2 plastic, and if they have lids.

These were different from the "Homer Buckets" (white vs. orange) and listed that they were food grade on the side. I didn't stop to see exactly what they were made out of.

Hopefully the OP will chime in about the lowes buckets, but I'm guessing they are the same ones.

They had these at my local Home Depot for about $3 and another $2 for the lid. Yes they are food grade and seem to be more translucent than ale pales. But they also have more markings for litres and gallons. Another thing is they had a padded handle. I would have boughten some if they were 6 gallons.

This is the problem; I'd be happy to find some bargain 6+ gal. buckets. I can get all the 5 gal. ones I want for the taking, but they're not all that useful for 5 gal. batches of beer.

1.98? Hmm ... I paid almost 3 for the bucket and 2 for the lid around the corner from my house. The 2 bucks deal must be something local then I guess. And no, lids do not come with the buckets.

I have a couple of these and they work great. I don't worry about making 5 gallons of beer at a time. I usually wind up with about 4 gallons and they work fine for that.

I picked up two with lids yesterday at Wallmart. Cost ...two minute conversation with
the cute girl at the bakery. Food grade #2 . They seem wider than my other buckets,so I need to measure tonight and see if they are 5 or 6 gallon.
Talking with the baker I learned they come with frosting in them,they use rubber spatulas,so no scratches and they send them back to the manufacturer for recycle.
Free is good.

There is a common misconception that all containers made of white plastic or HDPE plastic bearing the 2 symbol are food grade containers. This is not true.

There is a common misconception that all containers made of white plastic or HDPE plastic bearing the 2 symbol are food grade containers. This is not true.
These held 28 lbs of cake frosting , so I would assume that they are food grade.
From what I found googling #1 pet and # 2 hdpt are considered food grade.I don't know for sure ,just going by the info I found regarding food grade containers.

This was copied of the FDA site.

Types Of Plastic

In the United States, the following codes represent the seven categories of plastic used in nearly all plastic containers and product packaging:
1 - PET PET or PETE (polyethylene terephthalate) is a clear, tough polymer with exceptional gas and moisture barrier properties. PET's ability to contain carbon dioxide (carbonation) makes it ideal for use in soft drink bottles.

Examples: Soft drink bottles, detergent bottles

2 - HDPE HDPE (high density polyethylene) is used in milk, juice and water containers in order to take advantage of its excellent protective barrier properties. Its chemical resistance properties also make it well suited for items such as containers for household chemicals and detergents. Most five gallon food buckets are made from HDPE.

Examples: Milk bottles, shopping bags

I have several of them for random stuff. Grains, Star San solution, etc.

They are great to have around the house, not just for brewing. Pet food, fertilizer, whatever, or even for just lugging around water. They are about the cheapest containers for their size that you can buy anywhere. Just make sure you mark them with permanent ink if you use store something toxic in them so you don't mix them up and accidentally use it for something else.

These held 28 lbs of cake frosting , so I would assume that they are food grade.
From what I found googling #1 pet and # 2 hdpt are considered food grade.I don't know for sure ,just going by the info I found regarding food grade containers.

This was copied of the FDA site.

Types Of Plastic

In the United States, the following codes represent the seven categories of plastic used in nearly all plastic containers and product packaging:
1 - PET PET or PETE (polyethylene terephthalate) is a clear, tough polymer with exceptional gas and moisture barrier properties. PET's ability to contain carbon dioxide (carbonation) makes it ideal for use in soft drink bottles.

Examples: Soft drink bottles, detergent bottles

2 - HDPE HDPE (high density polyethylene) is used in milk, juice and water containers in order to take advantage of its excellent protective barrier properties. Its chemical resistance properties also make it well suited for items such as containers for household chemicals and detergents. Most five gallon food buckets are made from HDPE.

Examples: Milk bottles, shopping bags

I was going to post a similar link. Glad you beat me to the punch. FFS, #1 and #2 are perfectly safe, and #7 are fine if you're okay with bisephenol a.

Back