how much steeped grain water in extract brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megaman

Reaction score
Currently, we brew with a 1/2 full kettle and add malt extract and steeped grainw ater to it. What would happen if I steeped the grains in the kettle, then removed them, then added the wort? So instead of ~2quarts of steeped grain water I would have ~2.5 gallons of steeped grain water.

I understand the risk for astringint flavors is increased, but assume that I hold my temperature right and only leave the grains in for 30 mins or less.

Currently, we brew with a 1/2 full kettle and add malt extract and steeped grainw ater to it. What would happen if I steeped the grains in the kettle, then removed them, then added the wort? So instead of ~2quarts of steeped grain water I would have ~2.5 gallons of steeped grain water.

I understand the risk for astringint flavors is increased, but assume that I hold my temperature right and only leave the grains in for 30 mins or less.

that is fine as long as the water is between 140 and 158 for the steep. You can use a grain mesh bag for easy removal of the grains

When I was brewing with steeping grains and extract, I always steeped in the kettle with however much water I was using for the boil. After 30 mins, remove the bag of grains and increase temp. Never had any astringency issues. You're more likely to rinse out all the sugars with more water anyway.

When I was brewing with steeping grains and extract, I always steeped in the kettle with however much water I was using for the boil. After 30 mins, remove the bag of grains and increase temp. Never had any astringency issues. You're more likely to rinse out all the sugars with more water anyway.

Me too, usually about 2.5 to 3 gallons.

Back