Missed Mash Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutMan

Reaction score
Doing my first 10gal AG today, and wound up missing my mash temps (154*) by about 3*(151*). It's a batch of BM's October Fast. Is it worth throwing a little maltodextrin in the brew pot to make up for lost body, or should I just roll with it. I have my temps down pat on 5 Gal batches, but the extra grain must have absorbed more heat than I figured. I'm thinking of adding 8 oz of Maltodextrin on top of the 1lb of Cara-Pils already in the mash. BTW, I was going to use US56/S05 yeast as I am currently out of S04

Are you using brewing software like Beersmith. You should not guess when making beer. Adjust your mash if it is not too late. Cold ice water or boiling water will do nicely. Put in a half quart and stir well, measure after 5 minutes. Be careful as you can overshoot.

Yeah, used Beersmith, hit my strike water temps, but after mashing in, found out I was too cold. Tried adding boiling h20, but only gained 1*. I was afraid of going too thin on the mash to add any more. What do you think about the Maltodextrin?

Back