Late Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
So this is a kind of nitpicky question but Beer Brewing brings out the perfectionist in me. I have been doing late additions and am wondering what the exact correct process should be.

If I do a boil for 60 minutes with half the extract, and then add the rest of the extract with 15 minutes to go, do I have to wait for the wort to come to a boil again before I restart my timer? I'm boiling on a stove and it takes like 15 minutes for my wort to boil after I add the rest of the extract and Im wondering if this is good enough or if I need to continue boiling it.

Im wondering how this also affects my flavoring hops also added at 15 minutes?

Thanks

You should try to keep your water and malt the same amount, i.e., 1 gal to 1 lb.

I never restart the boil. I just let it steep to pasteurize. IMO, adding flavoring and/or aroma hops and allowing them to steep is just as good as reboiling for the last 15 mins.

Funny you ask this...I just did my first late addition on Sunday (this is only my 2nd batch).

I'll tell you what the guy at my LHBS told me...

He said....do half the extract at the beginning of the boil. (60min total time) Take it off (so as not to scorch brewpot) @ 55 minutes (stop the clock)...add the other half of the extract...and finishing hops (if your using finishing hops)...Boil for 5 minutes. DONE.

Back