Fermentis T-58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I went with some friends this weekend to brew with them again on their 7 BBL system. Why knocked out a Saison and pitched the Fermentis T-58.

I took 6 gallons home in a carboy and 5 hours later i walked by and noticed what can only be described as insanely crazy angry fermentation!!!! This bad boy was not getting going after 5 hours it was balls out fermenting. I have not seen an airlock with this kind of activity and i have made alot of beer. If the flavor profile impresses as much as the quick ferment start i am going to love this yeast.

Has anyone else used this stuff before?

I actually used the T-58 for the first time on my SMaSH (Munich 10L + EKG) and it was a really awesome surprise. Probably one of my best experiences with dry yeast. The complexity that was achieved from those 4 ingredients was crazy. In fact, I took a bottle down to my little brother's graduation party last weekend, and poured him a pint. He took a few sips and was really diggin' it...and asked me what spices I put into it...when I told him that it was 1 grain, one hop and dry yeast, his mouth hit the floor.

If your experience is anything like mine, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Now, I don't remember the fermentation being any more violent than most, but I brew so much...who knows.

I use T-58 as my bottling yeast for all my 750ml corked bottle conditioned beers. It's a great yeast.

ferment low muncher, around 70. i bet that would lessen the peppery taste.

I have mine sitting in a 75 degree room and the temp of the carboy is at 80. I can not wait!

This is a good yeast. I use it for a few things. I have experienced the fermentation you mention. Unlike the S-33, which I swear I have never seen the airlock bubble and I always think it isn't working. But when I measure gravity, it is finished...lol.

:off:

Evan!, you are approaching 6,666.

After pitching sunday and a crazy fermentation it seems this Saison yeast is going to go the way of the others. It seems to have stalled at 1.014. I know it has only been 5 days but there is zero airlock activity. i will check it again in 4 days and see if it has dropped anymore.

Back