New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NZLunchie said:
@Brendos - welcome along to the kiwi madness!! How long does it take for your portable stove to get a rolling boil? I looked at one for random brews at the beach etc but went with a proper gas ring burner from Bunnings.

It only takes about ten or so minutes to get to boil, so gives me enough time to measure out the hops while I wait.

10 mins?! thats pretty good, how big are your boils?
my two-ring, isn't great, thinking about a 3 ring, probably worth it ...

Didn't even know about it - might do. You going to brew a beer specifically for it?

I don't have the equipment for all grain, but I will be sending one i think, extract wiuth grains, depends how my current one turns out, seems to be looking at a much morestable temperature, which helps :)

They give you feedback on all entered beers, so it will be helpful for perfecting that brew, instead of chasing the dream, lol.

Depends if you're brewing for you or brewing for others :p

Fair point, but there's no harm in trying something they advise, and if you don't like it as much its not a biggie, in the end you made beer. I'm experimenting, with Biscuit malt to see what happens to an already made recipe. lol.

let us know if you do enter...

You can also brew NZ Craft Beer TV's Mash Up if you wanted:
http://nzcraftbeer.tv/mash-up-20-litre-recipe/

Thought about both, never got round to it though :p

Anyone Tried the Mash Up?

Hey Lunchie... I'm doing an Extract with Grains Version of Epic, and making it slightly darker, giving it a slightly sweeter taste with Med Crystal(80Lish?) in place of Pale Crystal.

where do I find the yeast??

Anyone Tried the Mash Up?

Hey Lunchie... I'm doing an Extract with Grains Version of Epic, and making it slightly darker, giving it a slightly sweeter taste with Med Crystal(80Lish?) in place of Pale Crystal.

where do I find the yeast??

Yep I love the stuff, if you're lucky you can find different versions of it, taste slightly different since they're brewed in different areas. Think Pale Ale but darker and MORE hops!

I got the Cali Yeast from Brewshop, but anywhere that sells liquid yeast should be able to help. Failing that US-05 will work as well.

Also, while writing my blog last night threw a recipe for a Pohutakawa Cerveza, take a look and see what you think, link in my sig.

:) Welcome!
How long you been brewing for?

Not terribly long but I've been doing an AG brew every week for the last 4 months or so so we've caught on pretty quick. Been making cider for longer.

I'll be looking to chuck a few beers in that home brew comp. I've got an IPA and a German wheat that's up to scratch.

Here's the German wheat. Has some dark wheat and munich malt in it
392533_10151026734966478_369831497_n.jpg

It also smells and tastes tasty too :)
It's based off the Bee Cave Brewery Recipe.

6lb German Wheat
1lb German Dark Wheat
3lb NZ Pilsner
1lb German Munich Malt

0.75oz Organic Kiwi Hallertau at 45min
0.25oz Organic Kiwi Hallertau at 15min

Safbrew Wheat yeast WP-something... purple packet.

6lb German Wheat
1lb German Dark Wheat
3lb NZ Pilsner
1lb German Munich Malt

WB-06?

Reckon some coriander and orange peel would work well in that to - be a good summer quencher! Looks really good.

Going to brew a couple of beers - the Epic Pale Ale clone is getting a second go and the Pohutakawa Cerveza might be a go....recipe on my blog if you want it ;)

Brew day 13th October for the Pale Ale and I'll throw the Cerveza together at some point between now and then just need to find a cheapish place to get the honey!

@MacrosNZ got an easy cider recipe? I've had a go a couple of times but gave up :p

Graff Cider with Nottingham (S05 goes too dry for me and foams over easy in the carboy) yeast has been the best so far. Chicks like it because it's a bit sweeter then the usual. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

I've also done the applewein thing but that takes too long. Also have a fermentor full of hand crushed apple and fejoa juice that's been sitting around for about half a year.

Hey MacrosNZ - thanks for the cider link man, I'm about 60+ pages in and it's...Epic! as is your brewing schedule for the last four months...wow. :mug:

6lb German Wheat
1lb German Dark Wheat
3lb NZ Pilsner
1lb German Munich Malt

What sort of temp did you ferm at? I'm getting some HefeweizenIV Culture from a mate, which would be good with this.

Hey Lunchie, how much Orange Peel? and Coriander you reckon?

Couldn't tell you the temp to be honest. I do most of my brewing at a mates house. All fermenting happens in his garage.

Hey Lunchie, how much Orange Peel? and Coriander you reckon?

Maybe 30g of cracked coriander and zest of one orange. Don't get the pith (white part) its bitter an might spoil the beer...You could use blood orange and throw some flesh in secondary, after sterilising. Pretty sure there's a blood orange hefe on here somewhere.

They're from a tiny garden shop in Feilding called the Fragrant Garden http://www.fragrantgarden.co.nz/

I managed to get the last Smoothcone, but he had a fair few Mystery German plants there. I emailed them prior to going over there and they said they should have more Smoothcone ready in November. Pretty cheap!

They're from a tiny garden shop in Feilding called the Fragrant Garden http://www.fragrantgarden.co.nz/

I managed to get the last Smoothcone, but he had a fair few Mystery German plants there. I emailed them prior to going over there and they said they should have more Smoothcone ready in November. Pretty cheap!

Awesome thanks! will pop them an email :rockin:

Got some shoots on the Mystery German, but the Smoothcone is still sleeping.

I've been asked to brew for Xmas/NY for the whanau. Thinking 60L, 20 each of an APA, Irish Red and maybe a Porter. Figured that covers, hot, cold and raining/night time. Thoughts? I'd bust out a lager, but I don't have the setup to lager just yet....

Got some shoots on the Mystery German, but the Smoothcone is still sleeping.

I've been asked to brew for Xmas/NY for the whanau. Thinking 60L, 20 each of an APA, Irish Red and maybe a Porter. Figured that covers, hot, cold and raining/night time. Thoughts? I'd bust out a lager, but I don't have the setup to lager just yet....

Sounds good :) I've sorted a Mashtun, from Payless plastics before they closed up shop. all ready to go for when my last extract finishes up in another 7-10 days. I'm tryingto sort out a minor yeasty smell from having the heatpad directly heating the fermenter, so being an engineer and some kiwi inginuity, i had a wire fan guard that ive put underneath it to raise if about 5mm off the pad, to hopefully still get plenty of heat but not "cook the yeast" otherwise I'll have to spend more money setting up a better heating system, which I'd rather not do.

Watch this space. :)

What category do you guys think a dry hopped, chilli chocolate stout with a lil bit of smoke should go into? Class 21 Spice Beer?

Yeah that or 23A - Specialty Beer category, or even 22B - Other Smoked Beer depending on how much smoke comes through.

Brewing an APA this weekend. Epic Pale Ale base with some different hops thrown in for good measure! Watch the blog for updates :)

Yeah that or 23A - Specialty Beer category, or even 22B - Other Smoked Beer depending on how much smoke comes through.

Brewing an APA this weekend. Epic Pale Ale base with some different hops thrown in for good measure! Watch the blog for updates :)

Nice what hops are you adding?? I did a partial mash on the epic, but I had to Add medium Crystal instead of Pale i think it was, and used 2xtins of light LME forthe base.
Bottledand nearly ready, I upposedthe hops at the same intervals, and did 15 days primery, with all the hops then added another 1oz and cold crashed in my cupboard... its amazing what a couple of frozen coke bottles swapped out every 8 hours can do. down to 8 degrees within a day or two, and it cleared very well. will do thato n my last extract too.

Macros, Depends on what you shot for, whats more present the chillit or the chocolate?
The other category would 21A spice/herb/vegetable beer, but that woulde be particularly ok if the chillit is quite prominent?

I got my p[artial mash entered, under american pale ale, it may be a tiny bit sweet, witht he darker crystal used. but there seemed to be a good hop presence from the NZ Cascade.

Lunchie you ever find a HB Club?? I found the CHCH One, recently started some good guys and advice going around.

Nice what hops are you adding??

Going with Cascade bittering, Motueka flavour and aroma and both in as a dry hop addition. Should be good!

I did a partial mash on the epic, but I had to Add medium Crystal instead of Pale i think it was, and used 2xtins of light LME forthe base.
Bottledand nearly ready, I upposedthe hops at the same intervals, and did 15 days primery, with all the hops then added another 1oz and cold crashed in my cupboard... its amazing what a couple of frozen coke bottles swapped out every 8 hours can do. down to 8 degrees within a day or two, and it cleared very well. will do thato n my last extract too.

Ghetto lagering/cold crash!! I like it. Never thought of doing that myself, good kiwi ingenuity at its best :rockin:

Lunchie you ever find a HB Club?? I found the CHCH One, recently started some good guys and advice going around.

Na not yet, haven't really looked to be perfectly honest, but got a Facebook page running for a Palmy Brew Crew ;)

Havnt been on here for a while, how everyone cracking?

Been a bit busy brewing here lately. Tried my hand at making an Oktoborfest from extract and steeping grain, which is bottle conditioning as we speak.
I am also trying my hand at some small batches as well. around 4.5l so I can experiment with all grain but with limited space. So I have some orange mead and grape fruit honey ale going in the small batches going right now.
I have also tried an Coppertun Ginger beer kit. So that's bust fermenting as we speak.

Will keep you posted if anyone is interested.

I think i have a few problems :-\

Touche ;)

@Crusader, yeah thats the freezer side of the hops. All from BrewShop except the two clear bags, they're from Liberty Brewing.

Dealt with The Brew House in Wellington today to get my grains and yeast for Saturday. BRILLIANT customer service!!

Hey Lunchie, Just a heads up: I used Irish moss in my Epic Boil. and Cold Crashed, thats made it clear, if you were looking to make it nice and clear, I'd recommend it :).
Picture to be posted soon.

Hey Lunchie, Just a heads up: I used Irish moss in my Epic Boil. and Cold Crashed, thats made it clear, if you were looking to make it nice and clear, I'd recommend it :).
Picture to be posted soon.

Yeah I did the same with my first Epic Clone and I still got a massive amount of cloud. The difference this time is an immersion chiller, hops, Koppafloc instead of Irish Moss and I've got with US-05 instead of Wyeast....

I'll hopefully get the blog updated on the day so keep an eye out :)

Back