Finally finished the Coffin type Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFGiantsFan925

Reaction score
After about a month of planning, building and work, the Keezer is about 95% done. I started with the idea of doing a collar, and instead ended up going with a coffin type Keezer. I liked the idea of a collar, but I really wanted something to show off, and I couldt elp look at the coffin type Keezers and really want to make that. So, I set off on my journey.

TO give a verry brief background, I have no experience in this type of DIY project. I have never used a Skilsaw, a mitre saw, nail gun, or any of that. I have nere really built anything like this in my life. And all in all, it actually went pretty smooth. I learned a LOT over this whole process.

I would also like to give a HUGE and I mean HUGE thanks to all the people that posted DIY's on their keezers and all in the info on these boards. With out it, I wouldnt have even know where to start. I took a few ideas from a bunch of projects I saw on here, and I am more than happy with how it turned out.

To give a quick summary of what it is:
-Craigslist bought GE 7 cf. chest freezer. Used for about 2 months. Perfect condition
-3 tap setup (only had money to buy 2 at the moment)
-5lb CO2
-Regulator off CO2 tank right now. Planning on buying secondary regs
-All Whitewood (pine) bought from HD and Lowes
-Marble natural stone bought at and cut at Lowes
-Painted the freezer with a rattlecan black Epoxy appliance paint (horrible choice)
-Perlick faucets (beverage factory kit)
All hardware and dispensing hardaware bought at beverage factory.

As for anything else, let me know if anyone has questions on my setup or my build process. It was a total learning process. There were many trips to HD and Lowes, and a few tried and failed ideas. But all in all, it took about a month of off and on building and tinkering. I am very happy and would love to help anyone that wants to build their own!! All I have to say is DO IT!! Its so worth it. Cheers!!! :tank:

Oh, as you can see, in the last picture, I am currently using it to ferment my first ever 2 batches. A Citra hop based pale ale and a pumpkin amber ale. As soon as they have 2 more weeks, they are going to kegs and I will actually use the taps. As of right now, I love using it to ferment, and not sure how Ill control temps after I keg these batches, but Im sure it will work out. Like I said, 95% done. I just need a drip tray and beer hahaha!

Pics:
DSC_0109_zps87931b85.jpg

DSC_0111_zps023ff089.jpg

DSC_0106_zps0f26a256.jpg

DSC_0124_zps4895750a.jpg

Looks good to me, I especially like the lights. I was meaning to install some myself but it was too late in the build to make room for them.

The rustic wood and tile go good together.

Again nice job.

Looks good to me, I especially like the lights. I was meaning to install some myself but it was too late in the build to make room for them.

The rustic wood and tile go good together.

Again nice job.

There is a good kit on Amazon, that includes 2 12" LED strips that has an IR receiver with a remote that has color changing options. Its only $40. Not bad when I looked around at other sites online. Its bright enough, but not overwhelming. A nice accent. May be a little overprice, but not a ton.

I guess I can include more pictures of inside the coffin and that setup. I still need to insulate inside it, and thats about it. Its been a fun project!

Good job man! I want to do something like this some day when I have the money to upgrade to kegs. I too have never really built anything and I didn't grow up with power tools. I like the simple approach but it still looks very professional. Again, good job.
Just out of curiosity... did you starting buying stuff for your keezer first or did you start buying kegging stuff first? I don't have an extra fridge so I don't really know where to start...

Good job man! I want to do something like this some day when I have the money to upgrade to kegs. I too have never really built anything and I didn't grow up with power tools. I like the simple approach but it still looks very professional. Again, good job.
Just out of curiosity... did you starting buying stuff for your keezer first or did you start buying kegging stuff first? I don't have an extra fridge so I don't really know where to start...

The way it kinda went was that I found homebrewtalk, then found the DIY forum. I was first looking at a collar type build. So, I set out to find a chest freezer on Craigslist. When I found one, I looked at more DIY posts and decided I like the collar type build, but I really liked the coffin style build. So, I decided to just go for it and do it. I told the wife that I was going to take it slow and take a month or two to get parts, and a month to build.

Well....after about a month, the build was almost done. It kinda went fast. I bought the freezer first, then numerous trips to home depot and Lowes to buy parts for the top. After getting that about 75% finished, I started buying parts. I searched a lot and found some great prices and just decided to pull the trigger. I was able to get 3 corny kegs at my LHBS for $25 each. Score! So, over now about a month and a half, I have built pretty much everything and got all the parts.

To be honest it was a lot more expensive than I thought it would be. I think most of the money was in all the draft brew equipment. Materials for the actual top and bottom were maybe $150 for all wood, tile, grout, stain, adhesives, casters, etc. The brewing equip was about $250. And finally the actual chest freezer and misc was about $200. I would say I am about 700 into the whole thing. But to me, its worth it. To have something that I actually built myself and can "show off". If you need any help getting started, read some DIY threads or ask away! Cheers!!

The way it kinda went was that I found homebrewtalk, then found the DIY forum. I was first looking at a collar type build. So, I set out to find a chest freezer on Craigslist. When I found one, I looked at more DIY posts and decided I like the collar type build, but I really liked the coffin style build. So, I decided to just go for it and do it. I told the wife that I was going to take it slow and take a month or two to get parts, and a month to build.

Well....after about a month, the build was almost done. It kinda went fast. I bought the freezer first, then numerous trips to home depot and Lowes to buy parts for the top. After getting that about 75% finished, I started buying parts. I searched a lot and found some great prices and just decided to pull the trigger. I was able to get 3 corny kegs at my LHBS for $25 each. Score! So, over now about a month and a half, I have built pretty much everything and got all the parts.

To be honest it was a lot more expensive than I thought it would be. I think most of the money was in all the draft brew equipment. Materials for the actual top and bottom were maybe $150 for all wood, tile, grout, stain, adhesives, casters, etc. The brewing equip was about $250. And finally the actual chest freezer and misc was about $200. I would say I am about 700 into the whole thing. But to me, its worth it. To have something that I actually built myself and can "show off". If you need any help getting started, read some DIY threads or ask away! Cheers!!

Yea, $700 over time isn't too bad. I'll have to see if my lhbs has corny kegs because they're about $50-60 online. Guess I'll just pick up pieces as I find them for good prices. Thanks for the response! :mug:

Yea, $700 over time isn't too bad. I'll have to see if my lhbs has corny kegs because they're about $50-60 online. Guess I'll just pick up pieces as I find them for good prices. Thanks for the response! :mug:

Keep trying the LHBS. I went to mine and they are normally around $60. I asked the guy and he said "well, we have a pallet over here of kegs that we are selling for $30 each. Take a look and let me know. All reconditioned and holding pressure".

So I went over, they dont have the black plastic tops on them, just a cheap aluminum handle on top. But all were holding pressure with new seals. I took 2 of them (should have bought a lot more) and he gave them to me for $25 each. So, I scored. But keep tryin' and try craigslist also.

Keep trying the LHBS. I went to mine and they are normally around $60. I asked the guy and he said "well, we have a pallet over here of kegs that we are selling for $30 each. Take a look and let me know. All reconditioned and holding pressure".

So I went over, they dont have the black plastic tops on them, just a cheap aluminum handle on top. But all were holding pressure with new seals. I took 2 of them (should have bought a lot more) and he gave them to me for $25 each. So, I scored. But keep tryin' and try craigslist also.

Yea, I frequent craigslist but I'll ask the lhbs to see if they ever sell them.
Do you use the ball lock kegs or the pin lock kind? Is there a benefit to using either kind? I'm going to have to start researching what kind of equipment is the best. I'd rather buy once instead of cheap and often. Thanks again for the help!

I am using ball lock kegs. They are a lot more common than pin lock, and parts seem easier to find for them. There really isnt an advantage of one over the other. Its pretty much the exact same keg, just different connections on top. Take a look at this link, it helps explain the kegs and is very informative.

Info on Corny Kegs: http://www.homebrewing.com/articles/cornelius-kegs.php

Latest posts

Back