Second batch fiasco!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeySmash

Reaction score
Hello all! Need some advice on my second batch....

This batch is from a kit, an American Amber Ale, I began brewing while enjoying my previous batch. All went well until I accidentally added too much water to the wort making the mixture reach close to 5.75 gallons. My OG was 1.048.

Roughly 20 hours into primary fermentation, the yeast or the head hit the airlock and turned the water in the airlock brown. I removed the airlock, covered the top of the carboy with sanitized foil and proceeded to cleanse and sanitize the airlock again. I also sanitized my siphon and pulled about a quarter gallon out of the carboy, put the airlock back and prayed.

Much to my dismay I now see spots floating on the top of my brew and there is still crud stick to the top of the carboy from the overflow. Is this batch ruined or should I at least wait through primary? What should I have done different?? Well, other than adding too much water in the first place...

image-3914677719.jpg

image-917996265.jpg

image-191902472.jpg

looks good, try using a blowoff tube next time you fill a little bit full. drink a few beers and watch bubbles.

Back