Easiest labels to remove (New Belgium gets my vote!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MileHighHops

Reaction score
In my experience of reusing commercial bottles I've come to the conclusion that New Belgium bottles are by far the easiest of all the bottles to scrub clean. The label peels right off when soaked and the glue is nothing for a sponge to quickly handle. Plus, they don't have a label on the neck, one less thing to scrub!

Odell's isn't bad either. Same goes for Avery's.

Great Divide, on the other hand, is a *****. They must use some kind of water resistant super glue on their lables.

These, of course, are all local beers here on the front range. What are some other bottles you guys have come across around the country that are easy to clean?

I made note of that as well for New Belgium. Even after several times through the dishwasher, Deschutes bottles just never want to come clean. I think I have a lot of Bridgeports that just peeled right off after being washed. Can't say I've made any notes on any of the bigger names, though.

I've been chugging away on a few Sierra Nevada's lately as my pipeline is up to snuff yet and I gotta say, if you look at the labels cross-eyed, they seem to fall right off. Just a 10 minute soak and they are laying in the bottom of the sink. Doesn't get much easier than that and I like the stubby bottles too :)

Highland, FTW!

The labels can be peeled without soaking and leave no glue. Plus, unlike Samuel Adams or New Belgium, the bottles aren't embossed.

DFH doesn't have the neck labels and the main label just falls right off.

Worst is Amstel Light. Got a case of empties from someone. You have to peel 4 stickers off (two main, two neck) and then soak them to loosen adhesive. Then scrub them with the rough side of a sponge.

any goose island beers...labels come off just soaking while sanitizing! easiest i've had

New Glarus beer labels fall off while soaking/sanitizing. No residue left behind either.

I agree about DFH being easy, Anchor Brewery bottles are really tough & time consuming. I like to bottle my California Common in Anchor's bottles.

Penn Brewery in Pittsburgh. Labels are slightly plastic feeling. Fill them with hot water and the label just peels off with no residue. No soaking, no scrubbing. I just rinse them with hot water, peel off the label, spritz them with starsan, and box for later use.

The european bottles that Weihenstephaner and Paulaner come in (among others), are a joke. I just use warm water to get the labels off (they fall off), then throw it in the dishwasher. I love those bottles.

Schlafly is where it's at. Really sturdy bottles, no raised lettering on the glass, and the labels literally slide right off after sitting in water for like 10 minutes.

I'd second the Weihenstephaner bottles, so easy. Also Leffe in UK.

Airborneguy said:
The european bottles that Weihenstephaner and Paulaner come in (among others), are a joke. I just use warm water to get the labels off (they fall off), then throw it in the dishwasher. I love those bottles.

Duvel - best bottles but so expensive. They come off just running hot water on them

Sam Adams is my bottle of choice - not too hard to remove labels and can get a case of good beer without a huge investment from Sam's Club.

Made the mistake of grabbing a case of Kirkland branded craft brew from Costco just once. Those labels were nearly impossible to remove!

I actually had a hard time with Ninkasi bottles. For the SoCal peeps, Firestone comes off easily.

I agree with New Belgum, and will add Dogfishhead and, Bells..

At least in what I drink dogfishhead is the easiest as is has only one label, whereas bells has 3.

So Bells has the most to pick up off the bottom of the soak tub.

I use Sam Adams and Hoegaarden bottles.The Adams I have to peel off,
the Hoegaarden fall off in the bucket -no residue.H bottles are only 11.5
oz though.

I used to think New Belgium bottles were the easiest and they are easy. I also used to think Sam Adams were the hardest they dont seem to peal after a soak in pbw like the Belgium's they just fell apart. My new method is to firmly grab the bottle and slide the label, then it comes right off glue and all, no residue so they are my new vote for easiest! After my homebrew labels of course (address labels peal off with just a water rinse)

My vote is for the Guinness draught bottles, the label is plastic and just tears off, no glue at all, plus i like the shape of the bottles. Other than that, New Belgium were the easiest for me.

Back