Back to brewing after 10+ years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellynm

Reaction score
Man! Where did the time go? Oh yeah... twins boys... now 10 years old. Purchased a Brewers Best IPA kit today and gonna get it going tomorrow. Any words of wisdom or things I should know other than what's in the directions? How about those grain bags? Do you just plop all the grain in there and go for it? Can it be that easy? Thanks in advance, KC. :mug:

Put the specialty grains in the bag, heat about 1.5 gallons of water up to about 165, soak the grains for about 20 minutes, rinse with about a gallon of water at 180, start the boil, cool, add yeast, ferment. It pretty much is that easy.

Congrats on returning to the hobby!

Yeah, you want to warm it slightly above temp so that when the room temperature grains go in they cool the water down to the proper temperature. And rinsing the grain is helpful.

Welcome back!

Welcome back. I gave up for 7 years. Not too much changed, but the best things I found were Idophor (or Starsan) no-rinse sanitizers and FermCap. Both make brewing easier.

Thanks everyone! Nice to be back. I did pick up some Iodophore yesterday and didn't realize it was a no-rinse type sanitizer... nice perk! Gonna start in a couple hours... feels like the first time all over again! :)

Thanks for the tip to get the soak water a bit hotter to compensate for the grain... good idea there! Ill shoot for maybe 165 F?

Question...

Heating up the wort (smells great)... the recipe calls for the bittering hops to be added to the wort... should I place the hops in a bag so I can kinda filter them out easier for the fermentation stage or is it better to keep everything in the primary fermenter?

Too late, you already brewed! Sorry. :(

The answer is: personal preference. If you don't like a lot of trub, or if you want to re-use the yeast, then it's good to get the hops out. If they stay in, no big deal, just avoid them when you rack to your bottling bucket.

Man! Where did the time go? Oh yeah... twins boys... now 10 years old. Purchased a Brewers Best IPA kit today and gonna get it going tomorrow. Any words of wisdom or things I should know other than what's in the directions? How about those grain bags? Do you just plop all the grain in there and go for it? Can it be that easy? Thanks in advance, KC. :mug:

Click on the link in my signature. It's not the only way to brew with a kit, but it may give you a few ideas.

Latest posts

Back