No Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidkid267

Reaction score
Got a problem. All set up for a Porter brewday tomorrow AM. I am short an airlock (I had two, one is apparently lost) My one airlock is on top of an IPA that is two weeks in the carboy with the dry hops added about 5 days ago. Am I wrong to go ahead and cover the already mostly fermented IPA with some tin foil for a day and use the airlock on the Porter until I can get to the LHBS which is not open on Sunday and get another airlock?

Make a blow-off tube for your new batch and leave the air lock on your IPA. The blow off works under the same principle as an air lock but with more capacity. Take a piece of hose large enough to securely jam in the hole where your air lock would normally go. Take the other end and put it in a jar of water on the floor next to the fermentor.

Blowoff tube or sanitized foil. I brewed a few months ago and had an airlock... but didn't have a lid for my pail! After searching for a while I just covered the whole top of the pail with sanitized foil. It came out just fine.

I have used: foil, saran wrap + bungie cord, and many other things in lieu of an airlock. In fact for big beers I prefer to use something like foil, as it tends to mitigate excessive blowoff.

I seem to recall The Complete Joy of Homebrewing even mentioning the use of a clean towel...

I would sooner cover your primary with something loose than cover your secondary.

Many brews are done in open containers, I have seen wine kits that recommended loosely covering your primary with a lid or cover with a plastic sheet and a rubber band.

Leave the airlock on the IPA and loosely cover your new brew until you can get an airlock

Back