Lack of Commercial Examples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catch-22

Reaction score
I am trying to brew every style in the BJCP to get an idea of the beers that I have missed out on throught my legal (and non legal) drinking years. Problem is I don't have anything to compare them with.

A few months back I made a Dortmunder Export out of JZ's book. The beer tastes phenomenal but the closest example I can find here in Utah is Ayinger's Jarhundert. That example is not the best listed example in the guide and is about 2 SRM points lower than mine. Taste is the same but..... is this a good example of that style? That is my dilema?

Just venting. Is it just Utah or is getting a wide array of beers to choose from varying that much from state to state. Utah has great craft brewers but getting brews from outside the Zion Curtain is pretty limited.

Side note, I will be travelling to the Phoenix area next week if anyone knows of some stores that sell a boat load of different brews. Plan on bringing an extra suitcase :rockin:

T

There aren't a lot of commercial examples of Dortmund Export and Jarhundert is probably as good as you are likely to do. The big Dortmund breweries listed in the guideline distribute beer to the states but I have never seen their export style, just their lighter international lager type beers.

In general the examples are listed in descending order of how good the examples are, so note that Jahrundert is pretty close to the top and ranked higher than some of the domestic examples. If you want a wider range, you can probably arrange to trade for some of the domestic examples though (I assume in Utah you can probably not order beer online).

If you want a wider range, you can probably arrange to trade for some of the domestic examples though (I assume in Utah you can probably not order beer online).

Exactly, I cannot be a member of the "Beer of the Month Club" etc... and if I want to special order through the DABC I have to order a pallet at a time and pay all additional fees.

You can search Ratebeer or Beer Advocate for more examples of the styles. I wouldn't take their ratings to heart, but at least you'd see examples that might be available for you.

There are just too many beers out there for any style book to last all but a small number.

I would avoid Beer Advocate. They are absurdly unthoughtful about categorizing beer.

For example, DAB Original is listed as a Dortmunder Export and it is no such thing but it has Dortmund in the name so the poor beer dweebs got confused since they are incapable of original thought.

Of course, they do call the style Dortmunder/Export so perhaps they mean to include all export style beers and all beers from Dortmund which happen to be in other styles.

Either way, not a good list of beers which are consistent with Michael Jackson's or the BJCP's notion of what the Export beers originally of Dortmund (but unpopular there now) are like.

Exactly, I cannot be a member of the "Beer of the Month Club" etc... and if I want to special order through the DABC I have to order a pallet at a time and pay all additional fees.

Are you sure its a pallet at a time? The DABC order website says "case".

Back