Burner Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harley03

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I getting ready to purchase two of these burners and was wondering if anybody can testify towards their heating ability and performance. I know there have been some other post in the past but I was looking for more recent reviews.

I plan on using sanke kegs with both and brewing about 10 gallons. The burners seem like a good deal to me. A description of the burners is below along with the link. I could not figure out on how to insert an image.

I also heard that the kegs bairly fit on the burners with about a 1/2 inch on either side. Should not be a big deal though! If the burners are that good I wonder why more people do not use them. Let me know what you guys think I do not want to have to buy more burners in the future.

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/kab4_banjo_burner.htm

Kick A Banjo Burner
Item #: KAB4

Price: $69.99

The Kick A Banjo Outdoor Propane Stove is one of the hottest high pressure propane stoves on the market. This high pressure propane stove includes a 30 PSI regulator kit. This propane stove, with the 30 PSI regulator and the large round stove element, kicks out the minimum of 210,000 BTUs. This stove will boil a 120 quart stock pot full of water in no time! (Perfect for those Cajuns that want to play with the big boys!) It has a 17" x 17" cooking surface which helps maximize its strong stable design. Perfect for large batch cooking, backyards, camps, RVs, tailgating, scouting and more.

I don't have one yet, but that is what I am planning on getting. By the way, Amazon and Home Depot both have it for $65 with free shipping. :mug:

The Bayou Classic is an awesome burner. Ditto on the Home Cheapo. That's where I got mine. The keg has about 1/2 on the stand, but I just welded on some steel tube and made the platform a bit bigger (a diamond shape around the square) I'd post a pic, but the camera is on the fritz right now.

This is the biggest. baddest. best burner on the market today. It is hot literally, it gives the hottest flame, and is quiet, what it is'nt is fuel efficent but like I've always said "It's Brewing!!" and I'd do it no matter what fuel costs. Like Hopfan said the sankes will work and if you like to be super safe it would be easy to modify. This aspect certainly would'nt be a deal killer for me. BUY IT!!! This a best buy, at least for me. Ask THE BIRD he has one too. :ban:

smogman said:
This is the biggest. baddest. best burner on the market today. It is hot literally, it gives the hottest flame, and is quiet, what it is'nt is fuel efficent but like I've always said "It's Brewing!!" and I'd do it no matter what fuel costs. Like Hopfan said the sankes will work and if you like to be super safe it would be easy to modify. This aspect certainly would'nt be a deal killer for me. BUY IT!!! This a best buy, at least for me. Ask THE BIRD he has one too. :ban:

I second that motion! I have one too and it lives up to it's name.

I'm not sure about the fuel efficiency (or lack thereof) yet. My first time, I had the burned turned up way too high for most of the boil. My last batch, I had it barely on, and it was able to easily maintain a perfect roiling boil. I'll let you know in four or five batches, but so far, it doesn't seem to be worse than the standard jet burner turkey fryers.

Thanks for all the input everybody!
I think I will order two burners this evening. Like mentioned before I can always weld some extra length of metal on the ends for safety which is no big deal. I also like the idea of the burner being quieter unlike my current metal fusion burner.:)

Back