Proper method for taking sample for gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehron

Reaction score
I've never been quite sure about the correct method to check the specific gravity from the fermenter. With my first batch, I didn't realize that I was supposed to remove a sample and read from that so I actually threw my hydrometer into the fermenter. You can imagine how difficult it was to take a reading from that!

With my next two batches, I've added the wort to the hydrometer container, but to pull my sample I actually dunked the container into the batch, which I imagine isn't the best approach (even with proper sanitation).

Should I siphon the small amount needed?

mehron said:
I've never been quite sure about the correct method to check the specific gravity from the fermenter. With my first batch, I didn't realize that I was supposed to remove a sample and read from that so I actually threw my hydrometer into the fermenter. You can imagine how difficult it was to take a reading from that!

With my next two batches, I've added the wort to the hydrometer container, but to pull my sample I actually dunked the container into the batch, which I imagine isn't the best approach (even with proper sanitization).

Should I siphon the small amount needed?

Use a beer-dedicated sanitized turkey baster....works great!

I use a foot long piece of plastic tubing attached to a 50 cc syringe. Works great. A turkey baster works good also, but I am always nervous as the darn things always seem to leak some sample back into the fermenter because they have lousy seals.

Wow, the turkey baster sounds like a good option. I should've thought of that!

Thanks!

I just sanitize the meter and take from primary. Why not, you don't waste any or put back in wort after more contact with air, more surfaces and risk more contamination.

It's ok if you use a bucket but you're not going to be dipping the hydro into a carboy and getting an accurate reading. My advice is to stop measuring. In 7 batches, I've only had one that had a slightly stuck ferment and even that one finished up in the secondary. Fermentation is something that just happens. Less meddling, more waiting! Every time you open the container, you're risking your batch.

Bobby_M said:
It's ok if you use a bucket but you're not going to be dipping the hydro into a carboy and getting an accurate reading. My advice is to stop measuring. In 7 batches, I've only had one that had a slightly stuck ferment and even that one finished up in the secondary. Fermentation is something that just happens. Less meddling, more waiting! Every time you open the container, you're risking your batch.

yeah but it's still nice to know your abv

That's pretty consistent with RDWHAH but I don't think discouraging measurements is the way to go.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest NEVER testing gravity. I do it when I'm already futzing with the beer like racking. I'm talking about not messing with a beer while it's nice and sealed in the fermenter (prior to racking). Some people suggest testing daily to see if gravity is staying consistent as a means to know when to rack and I'm saying it's bad news.

Back