Belgian Tripel - Fuggles or Willamette?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumbo82

Reaction score
According to the BJCP style guidelines I should use a noble hop or Styrian Goldings when brewing a Belgian Tripel. Unfortunately, due to some poor planning on my part, I have neither. I've read that some consider Fuggle to be noble (although not one of the true four noble hops), and I have a pound of 5.5% AA hops in my freezer from Hops Direct. I also googled and found that a decent hop substitution for Styrian Goldings is Willamette, which I also have a pound of 4.5% AA in my freezer. I know neither is going to be perfect, but since I'm already mashing in I'm going to have to make a choice here. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the advice. I went with Fuggles because I wanted more spiciness for my Belgian. I only used it for a bittering addition anyway. O.G. 1.075, came it right where I wanted it. I think its going to be a great beer.

If used as an early addition you wont get much spiciness. I let the yeast handle spiciness. Have you tried wyeast 3739 or whitelabs 550. The 550 gives wonderful spice, and the hydro sample of 3779 batch I racked today has a nice spice also. I cant wait for it to carb and condition. :)

Back