Secondary gravity drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurfBrew

Reaction score
Is there a general rule for how many points you typically drop in a secondary?

Thanks for the help.

Nope, no rule. Don't transfer to a secondary unless you get a consistent reading from your primary for three days. Don't expect to see the gravity drop much, if at all, once you transfer.

The most I've ever experienced is 2 pts - that was an early batch I rushed a bit and racked after a week in primary. You really should let it completely finish out in primary - if you count on a significant drop in secondary, you'll probably be disappointed. Since most of the yeast is left behind in the primary, what's left is not always enough to finish the fermentation to completion.

Thanks guys.
I needed 2 points. I got a steady reading in the fermenter after a week, so I racked.
I thought stiring up the yeast might give me the last 2 points.

Racking can certainly revive fermentation. Ideally fermentation should be fully completed before racking but I've had a couple brews finish in secondary. The pilsner I recently brewed dropped 5 points in secondary (after sitting in primary for over a month). I've had a few and it's delicious, with no noticeable signs of off flavors. Technically the gravity shouldn't drop at all in secondary, but it it does it's no biggy.

It depends how long you leave it in the main fermenter and how good a job the yeast has done.
In theory and preferably it should by 0 or close to.

Back