I made 2 cases of bottle bombs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemaster

Reaction score
I had gotten behind on my brew schedule and decided to catch up by bottling three 5 gallon batches yesterday. The bottling and everything went fine, thanks to the tips on the forum.

I have heard that some extract brewers don't bother with hydro readings, because there's no mashing/lautering or efficiency to worry about. So, I figured after 5 weeks in primary my Porter would be ready to bottle. I just went ahead and bottled it all.

When it was all said and done I had about a third of a bottle left. I decided why not check the FG to calculate the ABV. The FG was 1.028, well above what it should be (OG 1.63). I don't know why the gravity was so high, but I am rather angry with myself that I made two cases of bottle bombs.
:mad:

Fermentation temps were on the lower end of the range for the first three weeks; then I moved the primary to 70F ambient for the final two weeks.

Now the cases are wrapped in towels sitting in the basement waiting for the inevitable, but hoping not all of them burst.

Lesson learned. Get a thief and ALWAYS check gravity.

Making a habit of checking your hydrometer readings is a good step. But If you had been in the fermenters 5 weeks, there is a chance you are stopped. Keep them wrapped in towels like you have and hope for the best.

I bet you will be OK.

I had a stout I planned on bottling, but it crapped out at 1.030, tried everything from re-pitching yeast, to dumping it on a yeast cake, to giving it another month, etc.... gravity stayed at 1.030... Sometimes it just happens....

+1 on it being stopped; I'd definitely keep them a little colder then normal for awhile, since you probably stirred up sugars and yeasties in your bottling bucket (as well as your priming sugar). I wouldn't give up on them, could turn out great! I would suggest getting a rubbermaid bin or something... Just in case.

I definitely feel better after reading your comments. Thanks!

I'm still bummed though. It was only my second batch. I guess I'll just need to refine my process and see if I can't improve it next time.

Here's to learning how to brew and continuing through the mistakes. :mug:

Did the sample you checked already have the priming sugar mixed in it? If so the actual FG would be a bit lower. I've had several stouts that stopped around 1.025.

Did the sample you checked already have the priming sugar mixed in it? If so the actual FG would be a bit lower. I've had several stouts that stopped around 1.025.

+1. I measured before and after priming sugar once and it was a difference of .008 if I remember right.

+1. I measured before and after priming sugar once and it was a difference of .008 if I remember right.

Yup, definitely overlooked this one, and measured the FG after adding the priming sugar.

Thanks for easing my worries :ban:

Back