"Brew Belt" Search frustration....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
Ok this is the first time I've had difficulty searching... but then again it's the first time I've been looking for something this "Specific"

Question. My beer keeps dropping in temp... down from 64.5 yesterday to 62/61 today as that's the temp in the pantry. No more Krousen on top only yeast cake piling up on the bottom.
So as I'm short on my gravity reading (OG 1.050 now 1.023 per reading yesterday) before the temp plunged over night.

So I bought a Brew Belt to heat it up.

Anyone here use it? as it warms up I hope the yeasties get re-activated... but if not I bought more to re-pich so that I can do my best to get to the FG 1.011. (yeast S-04, same as came in grain, extract and Hops kit.)

How long should the yeasties take to -re- activate if still viable? 24-48 hrs?

I have never used a Brew Belt, but on my last two brews, an IPA and a Porter, I fermented at the low end of the spec for the particular yeast I used. After 10 days on both, my SG was only down to 1.020... a long way off from 012. So I moved my fermenters into a room that was 5-8 degrees warmer, and within 36 hours, I had a "new" krausen. So to answer your question, your brewbelt should wake those yeasties up just fine. Let it go for a while...like 2 or 3 days before you even consider repitching. Good luck!

Thanks for the Quick reply!!! Glad to hear your yeasties re-started easily.

Anyone use one of these though...? How hot will it get 5 gal in 61/62 deg room? The only info it provides is that it will take 6 gal to between 75-78 deg... and not to use if the room temp is 75+ deg.

The brew-belts I've seen look to be about $25 bucks for enough to go around the carboy/bucket once. I'd think you might be better off getting heat tape (the stuff to keep at risk pipes from freezing) from online for a lot less than a brew belt. Has anyone tried this?

My wife bought me one from AHS (part of Xmas gift) but haven't used it and doubt I'll have to (unless I have to move my beermaking outside for some reason - In January! LOL). $21.99 at AHS.

or you can use a temp probe a cube cooler that is used to keep the wort cool in summer drop a heating pad inside on low. when it warms up to where you want it shut it off. check it now and again and see how it holds. when it needs a warm up turn it on again and let it warm up.

Latest update, 18 hrs with brew belt on. Air temp 61/62 deg F. Brew temp in Fermenter 70Deg F (well as close as I can tell by putting my thermo with water filling the tube (as purchased) and under the brew belt where the ends come together (not touching the floor).

Looks like the yeasties are tired.... No bubbles and the fermentation smells have died down too. =( I liked the smell when it was burping the valve.

If there is no change by late tomorrow (6 days in Fermenter) I'll take one more Gravity reading and transfer to Secondary(carboy) if it's under 1.020.

It's either that or wait another 5 days (until Friday) before going to secondary. But I would like to brew next Sat as I'll have the rest of my equipment that is on order by then (Chiller especially, as I don't have enough snow to chill another batch).

DOH!!!! Ok just sanitized the skinny end of my stir spoon (24") and removed the air lock and stirred until the yeast Cake at the bottom was into suspension.

Oh one Note: DANG!!!! the beer smell was Terrific!! I can still smell it wafting through the house as the central heat was on as I was stirring.

OMG! I'm Drooling!

Back