Recipe Adjustment need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I made a Barley wine that turned out pretty good, but was just a little bitter.
The problem is I know what hops I used but I dont have the info on how much and when. Chinook and Northern Brewer were the hops I used. The recipe is as follows I would appreciate any help with the hop bill. Thanks
8 pounds of light malt extract
2 pounds Old Barvarian Munich extract
Grain
1 pound Domestic 2 row
2 pound Cara vienne light crystal
Hops
2oz Chinook
2oz Northern Brewer
Safale yeast

Dark_Ale said:
I made a Barley wine that turned out pretty good, but was just a little bitter.
The problem is I know what hops I used but I dont have the info on how much and when. Chinook and Northern Brewer were the hops I used. The recipe is as follows I would appreciate any help with the hop bill. Thanks
8 pounds of light malt extract
2 pounds Old Barvarian Munich extract
Grain
1 pound Domestic 2 row
2 pound Cara vienne light crystal
Hops
2oz Chinook
2oz Northern Brewer
Safale yeast

Try some crystal 60 or other sweeter crystal malt in there. Or you could try some honey malt.

You used a lot of two high AA hops. I'd recommend cutting the amounts by 25% and adding in an oz. of a good aroma hop like EKG, willamette or fuggles.

The bitterness will mellow, but it might take 6 months or more.

No, I dont have boil times, IBU's, etc.. I cant find my paperwork, probably thrown away by my exwife. I had the recipe saved in an old email. The ingredients in my previous thread is what I have to work with. So whats everyone think. When and how much of each hop would you use if faced with this problem. Chinook And Northern Brewer?

Back