Counterflow Wort Chiller Build (and use)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wish i would have seen this a few weeks ago! love the thermometer! may have to retro fit mine!! great work!

I will be starting a build very soon. I thought I would post my plans and ask for opinions or tips.

I'm building a 25' cfc with 5/8" ID rubber garden hose and 3/8" OD refrigeration tubing and a 20-240 deg F probe.

counter-flow-chiller-build-57094.jpg

The CFC will be semi-permanently mounted under my rolling brewing table. The water connections are shown opposite the wort connections but this may change. I intend to make water connections from the rear of the table but realize that I may need water flow control from the front. I was concerned about fluid being held in the chiller, so the lowest ports will be oriented low for drainage.

The CFC will be used in conjunction with a March MDXT-3 pump.

Camlock QDs will likely be used for the entire setup.

Any comments or tips are welcome. I want to build it right the first time.

Thanks

WOW made one of these up few weeks ago, finally got to use it tonight, what a great tool, unbelievably easy. Best part is it doesn't squirt you with hot water while sanitizing.

have not retro fitted mine yet. got run over by a truck so i have not brewed in a few weeks. but thanks to the pain killers, i cannot drink either so the pipeline is fine as long as i can keep the wife out of it LOL.

Chiller worked great with the new pump I implemented into my system this week. Solid 62 degrees coming out of the end. 3/8 refrigerator tubing works slowly with gravity feed, but is much better with some pressure behind it! Thinking about removing or capping the thermometer port. I know how efficient it is, and can easily measure the output temp upon leaving the pipe into the fermentor.

Still very happy with counterflow chiller! Thanks Tiber

I will be starting a build very soon. I thought I would post my plans and ask for opinions or tips.

I'm building a 25' cfc with 5/8" ID rubber garden hose and 3/8" OD refrigeration tubing and a 20-240 deg F probe.

counter-flow-chiller-build-57094.jpg

The CFC will be semi-permanently mounted under my rolling brewing table. The water connections are shown opposite the wort connections but this may change. I intend to make water connections from the rear of the table but realize that I may need water flow control from the front. I was concerned about fluid being held in the chiller, so the lowest ports will be oriented low for drainage.

The CFC will be used in conjunction with a March MDXT-3 pump.

Camlock QDs will likely be used for the entire setup.

Any comments or tips are welcome. I want to build it right the first time.

Thanks

Overall looks good. You might want to shorten up the probe port a bit, so you're not measuring low flow or still fluid pockets. I'm not sure how long the probe is that you have in mind, but make sure it's taking its data from wort that's flowing in the same uniform manner as inside the rest of the chiller. That way you'll get the most accurate and applicable temperature feedback that you're looking for.

Good luck with your build! :mug:

Chiller worked great with the new pump I implemented into my system this week. Solid 62 degrees coming out of the end. 3/8 refrigerator tubing works slowly with gravity feed, but is much better with some pressure behind it! Thinking about removing or capping the thermometer port. I know how efficient it is, and can easily measure the output temp upon leaving the pipe into the fermentor.

Still very happy with counterflow chiller! Thanks Tiber

Glad to help! :mug:

Overall looks good. You might want to shorten up the probe port a bit, so you're not measuring low flow or still fluid pockets. I'm not sure how long the probe is that you have in mind, but make sure it's taking its data from wort that's flowing in the same uniform manner as inside the rest of the chiller. That way you'll get the most accurate and applicable temperature feedback that you're looking for.

Good luck with your build! :mug:
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the shortest probe available from Howe Gauges on ebay, which is 2 1/2" including the threads. I'll mount it so the tip is well into the wort flow of the tee.

I have seen many of these wort chillers that are 25 feet long and some that are 20 feet long. One question is, does the extra 5 feet make a difference. I am considering building one of these but only have access to 20 or 50 feet length of the copper tubing. I thought I would make 2 of them with the 50 foot tube and sell one, but no one seems interested, even at cost.

So, I was wondering if the extra length is good, maybe an alternative plan would be just as good. I thought I would make 2 10 foot long chillers and leave the copper tubing as one peace. I would take the warm water out at the upper half of the chiller and use new cold water for the lower half of the chiller.

Is there any reason this is a bad idea?

Just thought I would update my build:

Installed on my brewing cart with a fabricated mount. Thermometer angled up for better viewing.
img_20130111_134509_222-57959.jpg

Rear view showing water inlet (bottom left) and outlet (upper right). Extended them to reduce the risk of dripping on the pump mounted on the lower shelf.
img_20130111_134617_282-57960.jpg

Final copper configuration.
counter-flow-chiller-57957.jpg

I have seen many of these wort chillers that are 25 feet long and some that are 20 feet long. One question is, does the extra 5 feet make a difference. I am considering building one of these but only have access to 20 or 50 feet length of the copper tubing. I thought I would make 2 of them with the 50 foot tube and sell one, but no one seems interested, even at cost.

So, I was wondering if the extra length is good, maybe an alternative plan would be just as good. I thought I would make 2 10 foot long chillers and leave the copper tubing as one peace. I would take the warm water out at the upper half of the chiller and use new cold water for the lower half of the chiller.

Is there any reason this is a bad idea?

What is your tap water temperature in the summer? Winter?

Also, will you be pumping wort, or gravity fed?

Just thought I would update my build:

Installed on my brewing cart with a fabricated mount. Thermometer angled up for better viewing.
img_20130111_134509_222-57959.jpg

Rear view showing water inlet (bottom left) and outlet (upper right). Extended them to reduce the risk of dripping on the pump mounted on the lower shelf.
img_20130111_134617_282-57960.jpg

Final copper configuration.
counter-flow-chiller-57957.jpg

Nice work! :mug:

I don't know what it is in the summer, it isn't real cold. In the winter time, a minute ago, it is 50 F.

I want to be able to gravity feed. I have arthritis in both hands and can't lift very high.

I don't know what it is in the summer, it isn't real cold. In the winter time, a minute ago, it is 50 F.

I want to be able to gravity feed. I have arthritis in both hands and can't lift very high.

50F will give you some room to work with, but if it's much warmer in the summer, you're going to want that extra length of heat exchange in your chiller. I'd recommend using at least the 25' length, build two of them with the 50' stock, and try to sell the extra one on the HBT classifieds.

If you can't or don't want to lift your kettle to gravity feed, I'd suggest getting a wort pump. They're a worthy investment if you brew even semi-often.

Does it make a difference and what "type" copper does everyone use ? What I mean by this is you have "types" L, K, M, ACR tubing etc.... As a hvac guy I know the differences between the types and wall thicknesses but what does this build call for ?

I'm glad this came up, I thought I read where people just used the 3/8 refrigeration tubing. I was going to buy my parts tomorrow and would have bought the wrong tubing. I wonder where I got that idea?

I just went to home depot and the refrigeration tubing seems to be a nonstandard size. the 1/4" fitting come close to fitting but the gap is bigger then I am used to. Is this the size that works?

I just went to home depot and the refrigeration tubing seems to be a nonstandard size. the 1/4" fitting come close to fitting but the gap is bigger then I am used to. Is this the size that works?

What size does it say on the box for the tubing?

Mine said "3/8" REF" on it

EDIT: which is 1/4" ID, as P-J mentioned below

Ha... You got caught in a "I gotcha". Plumbing tubing is measured by the 'nominal ID' of the pipe & refrigeration tubing is measured by the 'actual OD' of the pipe.

The guy at the store said Refrigeration tubing is measured by the outside diameter and plumbing tubing is measured by the inside diameter. The refrigeration tubing is very soft and it could melt if it got too hot. I think that I use the regular tubing, as the diameter is larger and will give me better flow. And the fittings will fit.

Yeah easy reference at no charge from a hvac guy.

1/4" ID = 3/8 OD refr.
3/8" ID= 1/2 OD refr.
1/2" ID= 5/8" OD refr.
5/8 ID = 3/4 OD refr.
3/4 ID = 7/8 OD refr.

FYI refrigeration tubing will not melt that's one of the stupidest things I have ever heard I gotta live big box stores. You could only melt it in a factory setting boiling water will not melt it.

The guy at the store said Refrigeration tubing is measured by the outside diameter and plumbing tubing is measured by the inside diameter. The refrigeration tubing is very soft and it could melt if it got too hot. I think that I use the regular tubing, as the diameter is larger and will give me better flow. And the fittings will fit.

Yeah, try not to get your ref. tubing over 1983f or it will melt.

I guess that explains why they work at lowes and home depot and not in their field. I'm sure lowes pays them competitively with the field to keep the best :)

Thanks all for your help.

I guess that explains why they work at lowes and home depot and not in their field. I'm sure lowes pays them competitively with the field to keep the best :)

Thanks all for your help.

off topic but I remeber one time I ran out of solder and the supply house was a bit far away so I ran to home depot. While getting the lead free I overheard the plumbing aisle guy tell a home owner it doesnt matter what kind of gas he has at his house. Whatever water heater he got ( propane or natural gas ) would work just fine ... the only difference was the additives....hahahahaha lol I jumped in before there was a big blue flame in that guys town.

I have been looking at so many options, I need to get it straight. I used to think I could track this stuff better. I got confused when I read the original build pages and they specified 3/8 reducers, but they won't fit the 3/8 od pipe.

So, one needs

5/8 water hose, 3/8 OD refrigeration tubing, and 1/2 x 1/4 reducers, 1/2 pipe.

I have been looking at so many options, I need to get it straight. I used to think I could track this stuff better. I got confused when I read the original build pages and they specified 3/8 reducers, but they won't fit the 3/8 od pipe.

So, one needs

5/8 water hose, 3/8 OD refrigeration tubing, and 1/2 x 1/4 reducers, 1/2 pipe.

The reducers I originally got said 3/8, but that's referring to the ID of the reduced end. If it's specified by [pipe size] x [tube size], then yes, get the 1/2 x 1/4 reducers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tiber_Brew for posting your tutorial. I finally took the plunge and unraveled my IC to make a CFC this weekend. Here's a couple pictures from my build. I Incorporated the thermometer option and also threw a ball valve on my water intake so I can adjust it if I need to. I ran a test with boiling water and ice water pumping through it and got 3 gallons down to 69 degrees in 4.66 mins. I usually do 10gal batches and have about 12 or so gals after the boil so I should be able to get it to temp in about 20 minutes as apposed to over an hour with my IC. My IC was 25' 3/8" dia. My CFC is just a little less than that.

IMAG2976_zpse8fcf8d0.jpg

IMAG2980_zpsb86a3524.jpg

Thanks Tiber_Brew for posting your tutorial. I finally took the plunge and unraveled my IC to make a CFC this weekend. Here's a couple pictures from my build. I Incorporated the thermometer option and also threw a ball valve on my water intake so I can adjust it if I need to. I ran a test with boiling water and ice water pumping through it and got 3 gallons down to 69 degrees in 4.66 mins. I usually do 10gal batches and have about 12 or so gals after the boil so I should be able to get it to temp in about 20 minutes as apposed to over an hour with my IC. My IC was 25' 3/8" dia. My CFC is just a little less than that.

Glad it's working out for you! :mug:

I just ordered 20' of 1/2" od refrigeration copper tubing, and a 25' 5/8" id rubber hose on it's way. I can't wait to put this together.

Tried mine on a batch last weekend for the first time and it worked great! Cooled 5 gallons down to 68 in just under 15 minutes. Very happy with this chiller.

I put this together yesterday and put it to work tonight. Works great. Got 5.5g down to 78 in about 10 minutes. When I eventually install a ball valve i'll be able to adjust the flow to get me lower.

Anyway, thanks OP for the design :mug:

Back