What is this thing in my secondary!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaehnig

Reaction score
Fellow Brewers,
I just transferred into the secondary this afternoon and now I see this little "gremlin" floating around in my beer! What is this thing? Should I remove it? Will it settle to the bottom? Thanks!

image-808930375.jpg

Looks like yeast. It'll settle in time... quicker with a cold crash.

Looks like coagulated protein/cold break. I assume the secondary was clean and sanitized before you added the beer?

Was clean and I sanitized, yes. I'll
Just have a brew. Lol

Was clean and I sanitized, yes. I'll
Just have a brew. Lol

My other suggestion was to name him and see what he does. On a side note - it really looks like there a boxer in the reflection on your carboy. Is it a dog or have I just had one or two too many this evening?

cadillacandy said:
My other suggestion was to name him and see what he does. On a side note - it really looks like there a boxer in the reflection on your carboy. Is it a dog or have I just had one or two too many this evening?

Haha no dogs here. I have a black tabby cat but she isn't near the carboy. She did like the airlock on the primary when it was practically boiling though... Lol

As for a name... Herbert.

Hahha! Took a closer look. What I thought were paws actually look like human feet. The shadow on the right looks like a dog face. Let us know how it turns out. Hopefully Herbert will get lazy and will fall to the bottom and will help with your next batch if you wash the yeast. Good luck!

Most of what I'm seeing is probably reflections, but it looks an awful lot like a carboy full of water that I'm actually looking through, with some kind of a fetal puppy drowned inside. And a loogie as well. Very disturbing.

Sorry all. That is my reflection in the photo. Attached is another photo of the secondary. No Herbert in this one though... It is in a pan to catch anything that may erupt out.

image-2806046362.jpg

So a few hours later, in the morning, I see that Herbert has grown and now has friends...

The airlock now has a little bit of activity going on and starting to see some changes happening as you can see in the pictures.

image-2888288245.jpg

image-1179286770.jpg

So an update on Herbert... He has grown sufficiently and is much more... Interesting looking? You decide. Below are a few pics.

V/R,
BrewTech

image-1555869615.jpg

image-2343101958.jpg

Really strange... Are you sure you're not just making kombucha and are pulling our legs?

Dude, stop beating off in your beer. Yeast and sperm don't make beer babies...

No pond water. No sun. Kitchen light. No beating off. No snot. No kombucha. No adding ****. Won't drink the boogers. Not poop.

Told ya Herbert is real and maybe alive?

I'll make sure when I rack into my bottling bucket this Monday that I remove him and his friends.

No pond water. No sun. Kitchen light. No beating off. No snot. No kombucha. No adding ****. Won't drink the boogers. Not poop.

Told ya Herbert is real and maybe alive?

I'll make sure when I rack into my bottling bucket this Monday that I remove him and his friends.

I think he might be alive dude. So much for my 'no worries', huh? Looks wicked though, and you've already named him, so you gotta at least let him ride out his life and see what he makes you. :mug:

What's the big deal? You're re-krausening with one of those yeasts that starts out with a little clump of yeast that sometimes looks like a brain or an ear, or a sponge corral before it fully blooms.

You either racked too soon, or had a stuck fermentation and racking it caused it to start up again....Or it was really stuck and a rise in temp woke it up.

Just wondering what it was. Also thought it was a tad comical. Posted an update and got some wacky answers. I am enjoying it. Herbert will be fine though! I am not too worried.

We could... Herbert needs an education if he is to become successful. So far he amounts to only floating, chillin', drinkin' some beer, and growin'.

Maybe I should start a blog. Pluck him out of the secondary and save him in a jar...

He will probably break out of my secondary and brew his own batch soon.

Brulosopher said:
What in the world is a secondary?!

Secondary fermenter. The vessel my beer is currently contained in or is this a joke?

TheMerkle said:
It's a joke. A lot of the guys here are pretty avidly against secondary transfers.

Screw them ;) unless you have a the luxury of a keg set up where you can blast out the first couple nasty pints, or you love to hold your autosiphon over the cake while you try to suck as much beer out as possible while also sucking a crap load of trub into your bottling bucket, secondaries are the way to go. I can't think of a dirtier way to brew than dry hopping in primary in a carboy, as an extreme. I like as little crud in my bottles as possible.

bottlebomber said:
Screw them ;) unless you have a the luxury of a keg set up where you can blast out the first couple nasty pints, or you love to hold your autosiphon over the cake while you try to suck as much beer out as possible while also sucking a crap load of trub into your bottling bucket, secondaries are the way to go. I can't think of a dirtier way to brew than dry hopping in primary in a carboy, as an extreme. I like as little crud in my bottles as possible.

Feisty! ;)

Yeah, I guess my kegs serve as secondary/cold condition vessels. But I've bottles from primary and gotten some clean, bright beers. Meh.

After a month in primary I get NO crud in my bottles. I've never needed to cold crash either......My beer's CLEARER than when I used to secondary. Even with dry hopping in primary.

Back