Another Cheap pump alternative?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricT

Reaction score
HF has these, it says its heat resistant.
Heavy Duty Drill Powered Pump

So I picked one up and am flushed it with 180F water to get the lubricant out. Then took it apart to ensure all of it was indeed gone :) it was. Will see how it works for pumping hot wort through my chiller.

It's been discussed and advised against, almost certainly not food grade along with reliability and cleaning issues.

TXCurtis said:
It's been discussed and advised against, almost certainly not food grade along with reliability and cleaning issues.

Though not a bad idea for circulating ice water through the chiller. Your drill may not last long running that whole time.

Well I used it anyway to recirculate boiling Wort through my CFC. It worked like a champ. I would advise using this pump with a drill though, it would be better with some sort of step motor. I dont know how long it will last, I'm sure I will end up buying a March Pump at some point but for the cost I had to try it out.

the biggest issue i see would be the plastic melting, or giving off a plastic flavor while it pumps hot wort, but based on the surface area it might be feasible

if it says harbor freight on it, i'd prefer it to be pulleys and a rope for an "adjustable" gravity system.

it's not the 1st batch thats gunna grow fungus,it's more like the 4th.

Back