Infected Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaanan

Reaction score
I just looked at a Brewers Best Russian Imperial Stout I put in the primary three days ago. Here is what I found.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73564614@N00/6346760740/sizes/l/in/photostream/

It looks like a white gooey gel like substance. It's sitting in three spots of dried krausen on top of the bottle. The beer itself looks fine. Is it something to worry about? What should I do? I don't have another carboy I can rack into.

Im searching for pictures of what this could be, and am coming up blank. It's only visibly on the krausen.

Could yeast multiply on the side of the bottle like that? Don't forget it's out of the beer.

Come on man, you already knew what we were going to say- you're better than that! ;)

Nobody sees anything there that doesn't look like yeast and krausen- if you're still really unconvinced, TASTE IT, which is what you should have done in the first place.

Good luck!:mug:

daksin said:
Come on man, you already knew what we were going to say- you're better than that! ;)

Nobody sees anything there that doesn't look like yeast and krausen- if you're still really unconvinced, TASTE IT, which is what you should have done in the first place.

Good luck!:mug:

That's good enough for me.

I agree,all kinds of stuff in the primary will mix with the krausen on the sides above the liquid. As the krausen goes down,it sticks in place. I don't think there's anything to worry about,as I've seen gunk like that in mine.

unionrdr said:
I agree,all kinds of stuff in the primary will mix with the krausen on the sides above the liquid. As the krausen goes down,it sticks in place. I don't think there's anything to worry about,as I've seen gunk like that in mine.

I'm sure you're right. I just get over anxious when I spend $50 on a 5 gallon batch. And when an extensive image search brought up nothing exactly my issue it doesn't help.

I'm sure you're right. I just get over anxious when I spend $50 on a 5 gallon batch. And when an extensive image search brought up nothing exactly my issue it doesn't help.

But you have to start from the premise that it is REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to ruin your beer. 99.99% of these types of threads turn out to be noob nerves, and nothing more.

Revvy said:
But you have to start from the premise that it is REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to ruin your beer. 99.99% of these types of threads turn out to be noob nerves, and nothing more.

I agree 100% that it's noob nerves. A while back I lost a batch of wine to infection. I realize that's much easier to ruin than beer, but ever since then I sanatize everything twice and get spooked over the smallest things.

A yeast infection? Maybe you aught to wash that thing before you stick it in there...:D But,yeah just whirling,swirling greasygrimygopherguts.

Back