Can really hoppy beers take longer to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmkealiher

Reaction score
I bottled an IPA 2 weeks ago, same day as a porter. The porter is carbonated, the IPA is not. What could be taking it so long? Its not a stupid error like forgeting to put the corn sugar in. Thanks

Not that I've noticed. I've done several IPAs that seemed to carb up just fine in about 2 weeks. Better after 3, but I rarely wait that long to start sampling.

Did you use the same yeast strain? Did they both ferment for the same total amount of time? And finings in either of them? Cold Crash either?

Not that I have ever noticed. Maybe even better because it's usually cal ale yeast, seems to carb faster than other strains IMO

If your IPA has a higher alcohol content, the yeast are probably having to work harder to ferment so it's taking slightly longer.

+1. This would be my first guess is that the IPA has a much higher ABV. I'm assuming the bottles were both stored in the same area (same temperature).

My hydrometer rolled off the table that day so not sure what the abv is, but just by sampling it seems to have a noticably high abv, so that could be it. But yeah, bottles were cleaned and stored the exact same way, at about 68 degrees.

Back