CO2 Current Pricing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strumke

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, I've looked around for CO2 pricing comparisons, and I keep getting a bunch of older posts that remind me of the days when gas was just a nickel a gallon. How much are people paying for CO2 today?

In the DC area, I'm paying $21 for a 10# refill (I don't want to exchange my brand new tanks yet) from a paintball shop. How does that compare?

Moline, IL.

$15 even for a 10# fill (not exchange). In and out the door in 5 minutes. It's a commercial fire control shop, who I'm sure deals with 5 figure sales all day long, but they were still more than happy to take my piddly 15 bucks and provided great, friendly service. The guy even spent some time talking with me about different tanks that they could custom make for me from old fire extinguishers that might be more space friendly in my keg fridge. Paintball shops around here won't fill anything larger than a paintball tank.

After my phone call to Airgas, and the rude ******* who answered the phone, the $15 fill sounds like a bargain to me. Although they were willing to sell me co2, the guy did a very poor job of hiding how he felt like my little 10# tank was really not worth his precious time to mess around with.

With taxes and fees a 10# tank is $17 and a 20# tank is $24 at the local welding supply store. Prices do vary quite a bit depending on location, so the only way for you to determine if you're overpaying is to call around locally. Finding out what people outside of your area are paying isn't all that helpful.

Prices do vary quite a bit depending on location, so the only way for you to determine if you're overpaying is to call around locally. Finding out what people outside of your area are paying isn't all that helpful.

Very true.

I also found, having just moved to a new city, that it was extremely helpful to ask at the lhbs if they knew where people were getting their co2 filled. That's how I ended up going to the place I'm using, even though I had (for some reason I don't remember) decided to not even bother calling them when I was looking through the yellow pages.

Local welding supplier charges $24 and change for a 10# replacement, they don't do refills. Needless to say, I've been looking around for a cheaper alternative.

Hey all, I've looked around for CO2 pricing comparisons, and I keep getting a bunch of older posts that remind me of the days when gas was just a nickel a gallon. How much are people paying for CO2 today?

In the DC area, I'm paying $21 for a 10# refill (I don't want to exchange my brand new tanks yet) from a paintball shop. How does that compare?

I just moved to the DC area where are you getting your tank filled at?

I swap my tanks in Coffeyville, Kansas at the Airgas shop. Last time I did so, it was $21 for a 20 lb tank and $13 for a 5 lb tank. Needless to say, I prefer to use my 20 lb tanks.

Airgas in DC waived the recert fee and traded my 20lbs tank for $32 and they did not care if the tank was originally purchased from them. Roberts will exchange a 20lbs tank for $20 but the tank has to be originally purchased from them.

I was paying $20 to exchange my 5lbs tank at MLHBS or buds will fill a 5lbs for $21.

$14 for a 20# exchange at local welding shop. just got a 5# tank but have not brought it in for a swap yet.

I just moved to the DC area where are you getting your tank filled at?

Check It Paintball out in Chantilly, VA... not exactly "in" DC, it's near Dulles, but I work in that direction. There were some fire extinguisher places and a chemical/gas Co in MD that were even cheaper ($14 I think at the fire extinguisher place), but they were only open during my work hours on weekdays (~9-5 ish).

Airgas in DC waived the recert fee and traded my 20lbs tank for $32 and they did not care if the tank was originally purchased from them. Roberts will exchange a 20lbs tank for $20 but the tank has to be originally purchased from them.

I was paying $20 to exchange my 5lbs tank at MLHBS or buds will fill a 5lbs for $21.

Those are both high, is MLHBS worth a trip over the online places?

Bud's was just WAY too pricey, they tout the "food grade" CO2 thing, but they wanted $35 for a 10#. The $21 paintball CO2 tastes just fine to me. I'm new to this, but charging 75% more then a mid-priced place seemed absurd.

$32 for 20lb swap out. Praxxair here in N. Atlanta.

I DID get a much nicer tank though on the swap, and my trade-in was also out of certification.

$60 for a filled 5lb tank at Simplex Grinnell in Raleigh, NC...Currently $18.80 for a refill.

They usually only have 1 at a time though, their shop guy refurbishes and fills one at a time as they sell.

$30 for a 10lb swap in brooklyn. We get some extra "you're in NYC" taxes, though, so I think the actual price was $26 or so. Local welding supply place.

$13 for a 5lb swap out. Not sure the price of a bigger tank, but I doubt it would be much more.

My weld tank of 75/25 co2/argon was $15 for a 10lb or $18 for a 20lb. It made more sense for me to buy a bigger tank, since it costs me around $10+ in gas money to make it to the weld shop.

I get a 20# swap for $9.95 at a marijuana grow supply shop in Denver. In and out in two minutes, free snacks on the counter.

Fire extinguisher service company in Quincy, MA:
$7 for 2.5#
$10 for 5#
$? for 10# (think its $12)
$17 for 20#

Filled while you wait so you get your tank back. Especially desirable when you purchase a brand new tank.

Sparkling Carbonics / CornyKeg.com headquarters - Cincinnati, OH.
$8 for 5 lbs
$10 for 10 lbs

5 lb tank swap for 10 lb tank + 10 lb fill = $30

I've been getting shafted by AirGas. It started at $24, then rose to around $35. Just got an exchange at a welding place for $17. #20.

Hey Guys, rant time.

I just wanted to clear up the food grade argument, as no one has clearly addressed it.

First and foremost, yes, a lot of people are correct, there is NO DIFFERENCE between the food/medical grade gas and the commercial/welding grade gas. They come from the same source. The Airgas guy will tell you that thinking he's shattered Einstein's Theory of Relativity or something *cough* because he knows they are filled from the same valve.

HOWEVER there is a major difference. The packaging. Commercial CO2 comes in a straight up steel tank which will rust and taint the CO2, first of all being dangerous for your health, and second of all potentially flavoring your beer, as the steel will rust with any water exposure at all. (Before you get smart with CO2 protecting the metal, I can guarantee not all welders will be as careful with the tank before trading it in as you would be at home. Add in condensation on the valve from previous fills. Not to mention some of that .01% impurity is water and oxygen which by calculating the surface area of the tank, to volume of the tank uncompressed, it adds up. Also pressure is a catalyst for rust in steel.)

Medical/Food grade CO2 comes in a glass lined tank, which is washed between refills. It's not the CO2 that makes it food grade, it's the tank.

...This is along the same argument as fermenting in a $2 Home Depot bucket because it's #2 HPDE plastic. Sure, food grade plastic made in the same factory as the $20 brewer bucket, but the lube, and dyes are not food grade and will leach very toxic polymers into your food. Add alcohol, which is a solvent for many things that don't dissolve in water, and you've got a polymer extract going on. Ever wondered why Alcohol erases permanent markers, or in drinks like absinth, bring oils into solution that otherwise don't dissolve in water?

I'm always appalled at how quickly people disregard food safety. In a lot of ways you're no different from the Chinese products with mercury and lead. Won't kill you today, but it definitely isn't good for you. Sometimes your health is worth an extra buck. Additionally, not being educated isn't an excuse; especially if there's a blatantly categorized choice between food grade, and non-food grade.

Hey Guys, rant time.

I just wanted to clear up the food grade argument, as no one has clearly addressed it.

First and foremost, yes, a lot of people are correct, there is NO DIFFERENCE between the food/medical grade gas and the commercial/welding grade gas. They come from the same source. The Airgas guy will tell you that thinking he's shattered Einstein's Theory of Relativity or something *cough* because he knows they are filled from the same valve.

HOWEVER there is a major difference. The packaging. Commercial CO2 comes in a straight up steel tank which will rust and taint the CO2, first of all being dangerous for your health, and second of all potentially flavoring your beer, as the steel will rust with any water exposure at all. (Before you get smart with CO2 protecting the metal, I can guarantee not all welders will be as careful with the tank before trading it in as you would be at home. Add in condensation on the valve from previous fills. Not to mention some of that .01% impurity is water and oxygen which by calculating the surface area of the tank, to volume of the tank uncompressed, it adds up. Also pressure is a catalyst for rust in steel.)

Medical/Food grade CO2 comes in a glass lined tank, which is washed between refills. It's not the CO2 that makes it food grade, it's the tank.

...This is along the same argument as fermenting in a $2 Home Depot bucket because it's #2 HPDE plastic. Sure, food grade plastic made in the same factory as the $20 brewer bucket, but the lube, and dyes are not food grade and will leach very toxic polymers into your food. Add alcohol, which is a solvent for many things that don't dissolve in water, and you've got a polymer extract going on. Ever wondered why Alcohol erases permanent markers, or in drinks like absinth, bring oils into solution that otherwise don't dissolve in water?

I'm always appalled at how quickly people disregard food safety. In a lot of ways you're no different from the Chinese products with mercury and lead. Won't kill you today, but it definitely isn't good for you. Sometimes your health is worth an extra buck. Additionally, not being educated isn't an excuse; especially if there's a blatantly categorized choice between food grade, and non-food grade.

Off-topic, unless you're telling us how much you're overpaying for the food grade CO2.

the Lowe's here sells 5 gallon food grade buckets for 4$ ....ohh and a 20lbs aluminum refill is 18$

Back