never seen this before...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmpeethree

Reaction score
beer1.jpg

beer2.jpg

this is my first lager beer, a pilsner. after bottling, i've got this strange white residue in all of my bottles. i bottled a pale ale the same day with the same equipment and there is no residue

is this lager specific? good or bad?

thanks

Can you see it in the brown bottles (I think I see brown bottles back there)?

When did you bottle?

Almost looks like a pelicle forming. Like you got some wild yeast in there but this usually takes some months to form. When did you bottle?

its my first lager brew. i used the california lager yeast because i can only keep the temperature 18-20c

it was in primary for 2 weeks and in secondary for close to 2 months, so i'm pretty sure fermentation was done.

i just bottled it last week. its been in the bottle about a week now

yes, i can see it in the brown bottles as well...

I guess nows the time to figure out how the infection could've happened and learn from it. Scratches in your bottling bucket? Unsanitized bottling wand? Bottles left out too long after being sanitized? Try and track it down.

im guessing it was during the lagering process or something along the lines. it must have gotten contaminated before it was bottled because i have another batch that i bottled the same day with the same equipment that's fine

Yeah, dude, take those bottles, sit on the front porch, and chuck them at the damned neighbor chillun who keep walking on your damned lawn. Kaplow! You can also aim for squirrels and other vermint like cats.

it was a great pain to pour 48 bottles down the drain.

the interesting thing is that the 2L bottle doesn't have it, but i think i'm going to pour that out

oh well, first bad batch in about 6-7 i've made

Back