west chicago burbs CO2 refill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used them, but Chicagoland Winemakers in Elmhurst works with a fire extinguisher company to have your tanks refilled. I've called the fire extinguisher company directly and they will only refill them if they come through Chicagoland Winemakers.

If you don't mind a little bit of a drive I use J & B Welding in Cicero, my 20lb tank was less than $20 for an exchange.

Maybe look for a welding supply place or AirGas. I use AirGas and it's like $23 for an exchange of a 20lb tank.

Distance: 7 miles
Name: Airgas North Central
Phone: (630) 231-7760
Fax: (630) 231-7768
Address: 1250 W. Washington Street,
West Chicago, IL 60185
Facility Type(s): Regional Headquarters
Branch
Fill Plant
Medical Branch
Retail Store
Get Directions

Distance: 11 miles
Phone: (847) 434-5300
Fax: (847) 434-5961
Address: 1601 Nicholas Blvd.,
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
Facility Type(s): Branch
Retail Store
Fill Plant
Specialty Gas Lab - Regional
ISO 9000
Get Directions

Distance: 11 miles
Phone: (708) 485-3112
Fax: (708) 485-3116
Address: 9100 West 47th Street,
Brookfield, IL 60513
Retail Store
Get Directions

Distance: 16 miles
Phone: (847) 741-3269
Fax: (847) 741-3952
Address: 923 Villa Street,
Elgin, IL 60120
Facility Type(s): Retail Store
Get Directions

Distance: 17 miles
Phone: (630) 896-8598
Fax: (630) 896-8560
Address: 1100 Jericho Road,
Aurora, IL 60506
Specialty Gas Lab - Regional
Retail Store
Fill Plant
Get Directions

If anyone's interested, I used:

Illinois Fire and Safety Company
702 S. Rohlwing Rd (53 just north of north ave on the west side of the street)
Addison, IL

I typically use Fox Valley Paintball in Aurora on Kirk/Farnsworth just south of I-88. They charge $15 for a fill while u wait. Illinois Fire & Safety in Geneva charges $17.42 (I just called them today), but they're only open M-F 9-5. Let us know who you end up using. I always like to find more places and compare prices.

These prices are for 5lb. tank refills not exchanges.

Allow me to give a +1 to Illinois Fire in Addison. Great friendly staff, they fill while you wait, and you can even watch them do it if you're paranoid about losing your tank :). I just got a 5lb filled for $18, so the pricing is reasonable as well.

Aurora AirGas on Jericho USED to be $16.87 for a 5lb exchange only, they would not fill my 5lb tank. However, the last time I was there I was charged a $4.95 hazardous waste disposal fee and the total was over $22 w/tax. I asked what gives the guy tapped danced a "have to charge ya for it" explanation. I am going the the paint ball place on Farnsworth for my next fill.

I'll give another +1 for Illinois Fire Supply in Addison. Plus, if you go to Brew & Grow in Roselle, be sure to pick up a 10% coupon for CO2 fills at Illinois Fire Supply. My 5 lb. fill was $17 and change.

Zombie revival, but thanks for the heads up. I'm about to start kegging and this is perfect information. Hopefully Illinois Fire and Safety still fills tanks.

Ditto, also from Roselle here! I'm going to be getting a new kegging kit in a week and will head out there.

I just got mine filled yesterday at Total fire and safety. $19 for a 5 lb.
Street Address

Total Fire & Safety Inc.
6808 Hobson Valley Drive
Unit 105
Woodridge, IL 6051

Pain Enterprises
330 W Fay Ave
Addison, IL 60101
(630) 628-9760

Call before going to check the schedule for the guy who does the fills and make sure he'll be there. Otherwise, fast and cheap. $14 if I recall.

I use Airgas, although it's the one in Crystal Lake. Good folks, friendly and a decent price.

If you're near Elk Grove Village, Service Fire and Equipment at 1485 Landmeier is a great little place. I just got my 15 lb. tank filled for $20 out the door. Fast and friendly!

I'll give another +1 for Illinois Fire Supply in Addison. Plus, if you go to Brew & Grow in Roselle, be sure to pick up a 10% coupon for CO2 fills at Illinois Fire Supply. My 5 lb. fill was $17 and change.

Heym
Can you confirm that Roselle B&G will fill and not just swap?

I went to Paintball Explosion in East Dundee, IL and they did a fill of my tank for $25 plus tax, so about $27. B&G Crystal Lake confirmed they do swaps for $17. B&G's tanks are all practically brand new and have a B & G spray painted on them in black.

Anybody recently refil in the Naperville area? I saw a Woodridge and Aurora options in the posting feed, though it appears no one has posted in awhile. I'm new to having a kegerator, so do you just call these places and tell them you have a CO2 bottle to refil? Do they look at you like you are nuts? Anyone aware of current coupons for any of these places?

Thanks!

PTEM, Total Fire in Woodridge will recharge for $19 while you wait, no apptmt needed. My only complaint is that for the 5-year hydro test, they need 1-2 weeks -- yes, WEEKS! (tanks get sent out Fridays, before open of business, and return a week later). IL Fire in Addison also requires a few days for a hydro test, despite what they may tell you on the phone! The Airgas in Lisle is closed.

Be careful with paintball places. The majority of them just fill the tanks with compressed air. Not CO2.

Sorry for raising a dead thread but I was looking for a CO2 fill place and wanted to correct this misinformation. No, Paintball places will NOT fill your CO2 tanks with compressed gas. Completely different fill systems, tanks, and operating pressures. Do not worry about this issue. On the other hand a lot of paintball places have moved away from CO2 fills at all, so call ahead to make sure they have it.

Back