Filtering water to prevent element rust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I am having issues with my electric heating elements rusting in my keggles. I have tried the sacrificial magnesium anode and still have rust and the anode appears to have significant corrosion as well. I know my water is really hard would any type of filter help remove some of the minerals that are causing this? I'm not really sure if this is the right forum for this but I know a lot of you guys are knowledgeable about water etc.

Corrosion is often a result of anions in the water. But even in the absence of any ions in the water, the iron is likely to rust.

I recommend cleaning off the rusting area to remove any loose material, dry it off well, and then coat the rusting areas with silicone seal. That will isolate the ferrous metals from the water and REDUCE their opportunity to rust. It is not perfect, but does work well enough in my system. Remember that the metal never gets much above boiling temperature, so there is no worry with the silicone burning up.

Back