Low co2 after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devin81knez

Reaction score
So I just bottled a brown ale about a week ago and added priming sugar that the kit came with. Now I know that it calls for two weeks in bottles but my girlfriend and I were curious on how much carbonation does only a week produce. After opening one of my beers I noticed that the co2 level was very low almost flat. Now I'm worried that another week won't be enough to get the amount that I want. Am I freaking for no reason or should I actual be worried? What should my beer look like in the bottle. I noticed a small amount of what I think is yeast slowly settling to the bottom. Do I just let my beer sit longer if its not ready in a week or will I need to uncap and add more sugars. Please share your thoughts.

Just wait it out. Put it in a closet where you won't look at it everyday and set an alarm on your phone for two weeks and then check it...yeast will make CO2 and you need to let your beer absorb the gas and carbonate.:D

Patience is one of the hardest parts of homebrewing, so relax. As long a there is yeast and priming sugar it will carbonate the bottle. However some brews take longer, depending on several different factors.

If it isn't ready in 2 weeks give it one more. If it isn't ready in 3 give it another, the process will work.

Some really high alcohol beers that are aged in primary and/or secondary fermenters for lengthy times can take months to carbonate.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back