motor/capacitor wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcgpete

Reaction score
I'm having trouble wiring my motor to the run capacitor. I'm a little confused by the number of wires and the configuration that the diagram is telling me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm wanting to hook it up to a on/off/on switch. Below is the wiring diagram.

A simple explanation would be great, and a quick schematic would be even better! Thanks in advance.

C360_2012-06-11 05-51-09.jpg

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, but looking at other examples that had wires going from the capacitor to the AC plug I got confused. If I wanted a 3 way switch in there, would I wire the black to the center, and the red and white to left and right?

I don't see how those switches would do anything besides on/off. I'm looking for a 3 position toggle switch so I can have forward/off/reverse. Sorry I didn't really explain that. Thanks for your help.

http://books.google.com/books?id=1w...erse switch for capacitor start motor&f=false

your going to have to poke around with a meter to figure out which winding is which.

Okay, so I would place the switch on the start winding in order to reverse the rotation. How do I tell which which? Does one have a higher resistance than the other? Sorry for all the questions, electronics courses in college were just memorize/test/forget.

Edit: I figured that part out, just not sure where to put the switch now.

I don't see how those switches would do anything besides on/off. I'm looking for a 3 position toggle switch so I can have forward/off/reverse. Sorry I didn't really explain that. Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I was wondering why you would want a three-way switch to control a motor. Their usually are just used for lighting circuits.

What you are wanting is a reversing switch.

I have wired reversing switches in AC motors with a start capacitor/centrifugal switch. Not sure about the one you have, as you said yours is a run capacitor?

Yeah, I was wondering why you would want a three-way switch to control a motor. Their usually are just used for lighting circuits.

What you are wanting is a reversing switch.

I have wired reversing switches in AC motors with a start capacitor/centrifugal switch. Not sure about the one you have, as you said yours is a run capacitor?

I believe it's capacitor-run. From looking at the difference in run/start, it looked like a start capacitor is the same voltage as the line (115V in my case), and the run is multiplied by some factor, which for mine it says the capacitor is 370V. So that makes me think it's run.

You can wire a DPDT toggle switch to reverse the phasing of the start winding, but I'm not sure how to ID the start winding on your motor.

PHP:
You can wire a DPDT toggle switch to reverse the phasing of the start winding, but I'm not sure how to ID the start winding on your motor.

I read that the start winding is much higher resistance than the run winding because of the function it performs.
(from here I'm speculating, so someone with more electrical background please correct me if I'm wrong)

By looking at general motor wiring schematics, it seems that there should be two lines coming out of the windings, a hot and one for the run capacitor. By testing resistance, I found that the resistance between the black wire (Line) and one of the brown (run capacitor) is 28ohms, while the black and the other brown is 12ohms. This makes me think that the higher resistance brown is the start winding side.

Does this make any sense? I wish I payed more attention to circuits in college...

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the trouble to connect the reversing switch. I only want it to back out of a jam if the grains jam it up, but I'm running 410rpm at 50in*lb of torque, I don't see jamming being a problem....

If your system is set up properly, that is, with screens that are sized properly and placed in the right locations, you should rarely have any issues with solids jamming the pump.

If your system is set up properly, that is, with screens that are sized properly and placed in the right locations, you should rarely have any issues with solids jamming the pump.

I'm using this motor for a grain mill.

Back