I am too nervous to do it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im glad im not laying somewhere with collapsed lungs and im depending on you to slam a pen barrel through my chest so I can live :mug:

You might try practicing with something you don't value so much, made of metal, and cylindrical. Next time you empty a large tin can try out your technique with that.

plasma cutters make the best pilot hole. Clamp the ground to one end of the pot, position the torch where you want the hole and one light tap in the trigger and Viola! Pilot hole.

gopherh3 said:
plasma cutters make the best pilot hole. Clamp the ground to one end of the pot, position the torch where you want the hole and one light tap in the trigger and Viola! Pilot hole.

Im just gonna go out on a limb here and say that if he isn't feeling confident nailing a hole through the side of a pot that he doesn't know how to use a torch cutter...

Dude, it's really hard to **** up. Use a starter punch (or a nail) so the drill bit doesn't walk on you. Use a quality bit. Use some cooling oil. Let the drill do most of the work.

Time to buck up, son. You'll feel a lot better doing it yourself.

I haven't bought the bit yet, or the valve... and since I'm brewing with it every now and then, it would be silly to put a hole in it before it was needed. I'm still thinking about it.

C'mon, even BierMuncher can do it!

4050-poster40548490.jpg

Revvy said:
It's time for an intervention....I think BobbyM or one of the othe New Jersyites should go over there and make him do it.

That might be the last option we have... either the OP drills, or Bobby takes a 5 lb sledgehammer to the kettle

Either the kettle or to nutty so he stops posting about how indecisive he is. I can settle with his fear, I can't stand his desire to mention it over and over while people here give him good advice :p

Ok now that I've gotten that out of my system, I vote on the hammer to the kettle.

Cosper123 said:
Either the kettle or to nutty so he stops posting about how indecisive he is. I can settle with his fear, I can't stand his desire to mention it over and over while people here give him good advice :p

Ok now that I've gotten that out of my system, I vote on the hammer to the kettle.

I agree, and to up the ante I propose the OP slams his wiener in the toilet seat for wasting our time

That's it, someone has got to do it and it might as well be me. I'm going to have to ask you for your Man Card. If you sack up the committee may find it in their hearts to re-issue it to you in the future, but for now I think it's better if you just hand it over.

This is the method I use for adding fittings to kettles, keggles etc.:

It's fast, inexpensive and works excellent!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, never had an experience like that... very thin pot by the look of it.
I always use lube... (take that as you will...)

An engineer and a car guy that didn't use cutting oil when drilling through thin SS with a step bit, yep that looks to be the result that I would expect. A little common sense goes a long way, I'm just sayin...

That pot was made out of glorified tin foil. I don't even understand why someone would make an investment in something as integral as a BK or MLT and buy something that's so cheap it amounts to the same cost as ingredients for a 10 gallon batch of pale ale. If your kettle is as cheap as that use the hole saw or just leave it be I guess.

An engineer and a car guy that didn't use cutting oil when drilling through thin SS with a step bit, yep that looks to be the result that I would expect. A little common sense goes a long way, I'm just sayin...

+1

sorry, but even for the simpletons this one should be pretty easy to do with some common sense (that is if common sense told you to stop drilling when it was getting hotter than a $2 pistol). The advice he used was nothing like the advice I got on HBT. The holes in my kettles are fine and I have up to 1 1/4 '' holes.

The advice I was giving was.. use lube, go slow. If it gets too hot then take a break. Good advice for drilling many things.

Then again I didn't buy a crap pot made out of tinfoil... go megapot!

That pot was made out of glorified tin foil. I don't even understand why someone would make an investment in something as integral as a BK or MLT and buy something that's so cheap it amounts to the same cost as ingredients for a 10 gallon batch of pale ale. If your kettle is as cheap as that use the hole saw or just leave it be I guess.

OH! he went there... a pot that thin doesn't require a site glass ;)

Back