Layer of C02

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
I dont have a kegging system yet, so I dont have a c02 tank, but I want to be able to lay down a layer of c02 on my beer after racking it to my secondary. I have access to a paintball canister, but dont know what type of connectors or hoses I would need.

Any help would be appreciated.

Well after racking to the secondary there is none there for a small amount of time. During this time it would be exposed to oxygen. Also I may be getting a 14 gallon conical from a friend, and will still only be doing 5-6 gallon batches, and would want to throw down a layer of C02 at the begining of fermentation.

If you are wanting to do this to prevent oxidization, I wouldn't worry about it. After racking, enough CO2 will come out of suspension to displace the air in the small void in the top of the carboy. In fact, even though fermentation may be complete you may see some bubbling of the airlock after transferring due to the CO2 coming out of suspension. If you absolutely must try please remember that carboys are probably not the best container to hold pressure, so use a very low pressure and allow excess air and co2 a means to escape.

Im not talking about pressuring them at all. CO2 is heavier than air and will just sit on top of the beer.

So I would rack the beer, "pour" a layer of CO2 on top of the beer, then place on the airlock.

It may not be needed as much when I rack to secondary, but If I use the big primary conical I might.

Does anybody know what type of dispenser or valve I would need.

...and would want to throw down a layer of C02 at the begining of fermentation.

At the beginning of fermentation, you want the O2, so I don't think you want to add CO2 at this point. My understanding is the extra headspace is only an issue during secondary.

Maybe I was just confusing something I read somewhere.
So a five gallon batch in a 14 gal fermentor shouldnt cause problems?

If it were THAT risky we'd be doing it all the time. There is a certain amount of co2 already in solution from fermentation, and that's coming over with your beer, and it's going to kick up on it's own and further protect it.

Your beer is not that "sensitive." It can handle being in secondary, and being racked to secondary. It can handle just about everything we do to it in the normal course of brewing, and even making mistakes.

Although I'm not a big user of secondaries, but folks have been using it for centuries without having to do anything "special" to have the already present co2 protect the beer/wine. And have stuff in secondaries for months if not years. I've have to, and never saw the need to add more co2 to it. And never had any issues.

It really isn't crucial to do this.

Maybe I was just confusing something I read somewhere.
So a five gallon batch in a 14 gal fermentor shouldnt cause problems?

I ferment 5.5 gallon batches in a 16 gallon Sanke keg and I don't use a secondary.

Now that I think about it, I saw this on a youtube video, and it was when the guy was transfering to the keg, he "poured" some c02 into the keg before racking the beer in. Somehow I got things confused.

Now that I think about it, I saw this on a youtube video, and it was when the guy was transfering to the keg, he "poured" some c02 into the keg before racking the beer in. Somehow I got things confused.

I've done that before when I've transferred from primary to a serving keg, but that's probably even overkill since I purge the keg afterward and there's really no splashing involved during the transfer.

You only really have to worry about headspace if your airlock in your secondary doesn't tend to move at all, or you have a very large headspace and move the fermentation vessel around frequently. Even still I doubt there is much to worry about.

The biggest problem I had with headspace (this is in a carboy) was when making ales at higher temperatures condensation would form near the top. My vanilla bean seeds were carried out of the beer and formed in the center of the water droplets. Now that is weird, but I had no problem with oxidation.

People have their own ways of doing things. And if it's right for them, that's great. But the thing to realize is, in brewing there are as many ways to do things as there are brewers, and it works for them/us. But that doesn't mean it has to be done.

And sometimes what they do is unnecessary, and sometimes it is down right wrong. (But that's rare. I like to say "Ask 10 brewer's a question and you get 12 different answers and all of them are "correct."

And that's sometimes what's hard for new brewers to grasp when they are starting out, a brewer's "preference" and the for lack of a better word "facts" or basic brewing processes.

Sometimes when you are starting out it's good to remember the basics of brewing and realize that folks have been brewing for millenia and have learned a lot, but the basic process still work.

A lot of new brewers are so afraid to do the "normal" things that books, places like this, podcast all talk about or recommend, for example racking, or taking a hydrometer reading. We who've been brewing for a long time wouldn't advocate or recommend something, if we thought it was risky.

Our beer is hardier than most new brewer's realize, it won't "die" if we look at it funny, or if we do something wrong. And it won't go bad, if you carefully do those basic things that are talked about.

Read these stories to see how our beer manages to survive despite the boneheaded things we may do to it. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

I believe firmly in what I call "pimping our process," figuring out what makes our brewing/beer making easiest and fun for us. But before you can do that you need to get a grasp of the basic process first. And realizing how strong you beer really is a good start. :mug:

i've wondered about using a seltzer bottle with co2 cartridges hooked up to them without any water (obviously) in the bottle. in theory, it would just output co2 from the nozzle and you could use it for a variety of applications in the brew house. some people are just anal about o2 exposure, and there's nothing wrong with that. of course we aren't russian river/vinny cilurzo, but i know they are very adamant about purging everything with co2 and i've heard him recommend in interviews that homebrewers adopt his same analness about it. i don't ever purge, but have thought about it many times...

I just want to make my beer the best I possibly can. I just took delivery of a chest freezer and a temp controller is on the way. Just looking to remove any chances oxidation. I know the beer is hardy and it wont Kill it. But just trying to do everything "RIGHT" whatever that is.

Back