Using Beano

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
In BYO and some other articles Ive read, they say to use beano if you want to make a really dry beer. Something about the enzymes help to ferment the beer out further. Does anyone have an explanation on how this works, or if you have tried this yourself? If so, how did it turn out?

Here's the theory: Beano will break down some of the complex sugars that the yeast can't normally ferment into simpler sugars that they can ferment. This also helps with the well-known homebrew GI problem (in dogs;) ).

And the practice: I have a Mild (OG 1.037) in the aging chest that I put four Beano tablets in after it got stuck at 1.011. I just pulled a sample & I've never seen head like this! It's almost like whip cream, it's so thick. Looks like the FG is around 1.005 and it's very dry. Good flavor, it was too sweet for the bittering earlier.

Interesting. Thanks David, I think I will give this a shot on my next blonde.

Do you wait to add until fermentation has almost finished, or add before you pitch?

I would say add it during the mash. Maybe see if you can get some info about the active enzyme in beano, that way we will know if it will function at mash temps. You will still get the action, you may need more beano, but then the enzymes will denature in the boil. There is some concern adding beano post-ferment that the enzymes will continue to work slowly and may lead to overcarbed beer as it continues to feed the yeast. This wouldn't be a concern if the enzymes in the beano were no-more post-boil.

I add it towards the end of the fermentation and only if it seems to be stuck. It acts fairly fast. Alpha-galactosidase denatures completely around 120F, so mashing it isn't an option.

i added it in the secondary in a barley wine that seemed stuck.
since bottling i have had to vent each bottle 4 times due to overcarbonation.
so as david 42 said add it sooner than i did!

So, we now need to do a beano rest? Let your wort drop to 118 degrees, add beano and rest for half an hour before boiling?

Man i remember when this product was first released and they couldnt sell it for the life of them! My mom bought it through a food co-op, cheap like a buck or two for a big bottle.

My mom bought it because she was sick of living with three other males in the house and the flatulance that came with em :)

Well, I'm giving it a shot. I was trying to salvage some old (and I have no Idea how old) extract. So I added some fresh ingredients and was hoping for a decent pale ale. When i transferred to secondary, it was far too sweet and the Gravity was higher than I wanted . I went to walmart and picked up some liquid beano.. Added 10 drops (2 servings) and will wait and see. I would have probabaly pitched the batch anyway so we will see, and I will let you know the results. (fingers crossed)

make sure you keep us posted and let us know how it turns out. Have you seen signs of fermentation again?

the fart section

usually it is with the laxatives / heart burn / digestive aid / diarreah stuff

homebrewer_99 said:
Why do you use such small glasses?;) :mug: :mug:

LOL

I would think that is enough of a response to get my message across but the BB knows that I need more letters than just LOL

Latest posts

Back