Anyone Got a Thanksgiving Day Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
Just wanting to know if anyone has made a brew for the holiday? I've got an octoberfest and an american brown ale.

What ya got? :mug:

Was suppose to brew an ESB tomorrow but Midwest Supply screwed up my order. Now I have to wait another week and it won't be ready. Guess I'll plan a little better for X-Mas and New Years.

I brewed a pumpkin ale as well to share with the family. They know I've been brewing for the last year, but most haven't tried any yet.

I'll be bringing my Southern English Brown to the table. Need something nice and malty that I can drink all day to football that won't fill me up for the meal.

I always have trouble with beer for Thanksgiving. With the football games starting so early, I usually start the beer early. By the time dinner comes, I'm already half full from beer. I don't have any homebrew ready, so I'll probably do something like Brooklyn Brown...

I was thinking about doing something with cranberries for Thanksgiving, but I'm a lazy turd and never got around to it. I'm brewing a Munich Red Wheat and a hopped up Wheat APA that will have to suffice.

I've got a vanilla coffee porter that I brewed in July. The vanilla and coffee don't come through very much though. I'm thinking beer floats for dessert, I'm hoping everyone joins in!

I have a Cranberry Ale that will be ready. I think it will turn out good. Guess I'll have to wait til turkey day to check.

I have a Gruit Ale (Dry hopped with Cinnamon, and Sweet Gale) in the Primary. Here's to hoping that it pairs with Turkey and stuffing well. ;)

For the holiday season I brewed a Holiday Oatmeal porter. A rich, robust english styled porter for those cold days when I'm holed up indoors by the fire.

5 Gal All grain recipe:
11# pale US two row base malt
1# caramunich
4.5 oz roasted barley
.75# steel cut oats- cooked and then added to the mash
1oz cent 45 min
1oz Cascade 10 min
1 oz cent 5 min
1 pkg safale US-04
Hop tea with/ 1.5oz cent and ,5oz cas in 2 liters hot water using french press before bottling and be patient till it's ready.

I don't know about you guys, but the last few times I have had a dubbel the thought has occured to me that it would be perfect with turkey. I don't have time to brew one but will be picking up a few bottles of Omegang Abbey for the occassion

Octoberfest (if the keg doesn't get kicked before hand)
a dark, almost too dark, Irish Red
Northern English Brown
Robust Porter
American Pale
and maybe some Apfelwein if its ready

Thanksgiving is being held at my house so I'm sure we'll go through a decent amount of it.

My first AG batch was made for Thanksgiving, a Pumpkin Ale from Midwest. I also made a Holiday Ale, that will be consumed for Xmas and New Years!

It's so 2006, but I've got a double red cranberry wheat baking. "Double red" b/c I used victory and honey malt which gave it a redness prior to adding the cranberries. Just racked into secondary onto bed of blanched cranberries--though I think I over blanched'em. Tastes intriguing...had to use a German Ale yeast since that's all the LHBS had...speaking of, I wanna find the thread where I can rant about the declining quality of my LHBS. Either way, I think it'll be tasty when it's done and heavily carb'ed.

Last year we did a cherry stout. Just tapped into our punkin' porter. Pretty heavy, I don't think there will be any left come thanksgiving...

bier de garde...ber for storage
from brewwiki:
Medium to med-full body. Malty caramel/toffee-like flavor with spicy, fruity character. Low esters and alcohol flavor. Little to no hop aroma/flavor. No diacytl. Gold-blonde to red-bronze in color. Moderate to high carbonation. In French, this "beer to keep" had high gravity in Spring to survive summer's heat. Related to Saison, but rounder, richer and sweeter. Comes in brown (brune), blonde (blonde) and amber (ambree) variations.

got the kit from northern:
A Belgian Oktoberfest... you must be joking!? Nope! This biere de garde (or more aptly, "Beer of Fall") reaches back into history to draw out great complexity and depth from a simple bill of ingredients. Straddling the line between a lager and an ale, this beer combines the best of both worlds with restrained fruity esters and a smooth lager-like character. A fusion of toasty, bready and nutty malt flavors with spicy yeast and peppery alcohol make Bière de Chute readily drinkable and utterly dangerous. Prost a Francais!

Back