Propane died for an hour during boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salsgebom

Reaction score
What affects are likely from this? I added my 60 minute hops, 20 minutes later the propane went out. It took me an hour to replace it and get it boiling again. What happens to bittering hops that boil for 20 minutes and then sit like that?

It boiled down to the right volume at least, and I continued my flavoring and flame-out additions as usual. I cant decide if I lost or gained IBU's.

Thanks
-Salsgebom-

I've only had that happen once, but it was before I added any hops, luckily. I'm thinking you added HBUs, but I'd question whether it would be a large increase, given the times you described. I'd think/guess that it would be a slight increase.

I had that happen to me as well. I just started the clock again when the wort came back to a boil. The beer came out fine. I think yours will be too. You may get a bit more bitterness than you planned but it should still be a good beer.
Maybe you will have invented a new style that requires an "Isomerization rest" :mug:

Thanks for the speedy replies! I guess its a good thing it happened before adding the flavoring hops, or else I'd get some out the roof bitterness with a hop schedule of 2oz chinook @60, 1oz @20 and 1oz at flame-out. :rockin:

You need a vigerous boil for around 60 minutes to extract your bittering hop potential. I'd say you never added much if any bittering to your brew as about 30% is about all you would get anyway. You might get a little more flavor out of it.

boo boo said:
You need a vigerous boil for around 60 minutes to extract your bittering hop potential. I'd say you never added much if any bittering to your brew as about 30% is about all you would get anyway. You might get a little more flavor out of it.

Well, after boiling 20 minutes and then going idle for an hour, I proceeded to boil for another 30 minutes. So did they get a 50 minute boil, or would the bitterness drop out while waiting around?

The difference between a 60 minute boil and a 110 minute boil is about 10% utilization. Since the wort was cooling part of that time and you actually boiled for 50 minutes, you should be spot-on.

Had this happen on an IPA once, except it took me two hours to find some propane. Didn't notice any difference.

david_42 said:
The difference between a 60 minute boil and a 110 minute boil is about 10% utilization. Since the wort was cooling part of that time and you actually boiled for 50 minutes, you should be spot-on.

Had this happen on an IPA once, except it took me two hours to find some propane. Didn't notice any difference.

Makes sense. I'm not too worried about it, just trying to learn whats really going on with these hops. I think I need to take a class in hop utilization.

If you have access to classes, go to one on Off-Flavors. It's great knowing exactly what "cardboard", etc. smell like and getting a clear distinction between astringient and bitter.

Back