"Reserving" your name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

layd0g

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any way to "reserve" the name of your homebrew? I guess what I'm getting at is I can easily search for companies and see if the name we came up with is already taken. Let's say it is not taken, is there a way for me to reserve it?

Are you going to sell it? If so, I'm thinking you should get a trademark. And certainly you should not infringe an existing trademark.

If you are not selling, but still don't want to rip off someone else's name, just Google whatever name you came up with. About 75% of the time, I find that the awesome, inventive, cool name I just thought of has already been used and I gotta come up with another.

The state of Ohio allows you to reserve your name for $50 every 6 months. This can be renewed infinitely. Check with your state's laws and go from there. I emailed the state of Ohio treasurer and one of his minions got back to me the next day with an answer.

I follow a couple of beer related news feeds and there is a trademark / copyright suit about every other day - either beer name or brewery name.

I live in WV and thought Coal Porter was very clever double entendre. Atlantic Brewing in Bar Harbor Maine has been making it for some time.

The state of Ohio allows you to reserve your name for $50 every 6 months. This can be renewed infinitely. Check with your state's laws and go from there. I emailed the state of Ohio treasurer and one of his minions got back to me the next day with an answer.
Hey, can you give me a link to the Ohio information?

Hey, can you give me a link to the Ohio information?
Sure, first of all here is the actual verbage on the website...

Name Reservations and Transfers
Ohio law allows a domestic or foreign business to reserve a business name prior to actually registering the business and obtaining a license. Reserving a name prevents another business from registering that same name while you decide whether and when to register for a business license. A domestic or foreign name reservation is valid for 180 days from the date of filing.

A name cannot be reserved unless it is distinguishable upon the records from previously registered or reserved business names. Additionally, once a name is reserved, new business names must be distinguishable upon the records from the reserved name (in addition to all previously registered business names as already discussed).

The registrant of a name reservation cannot give consent to another business to register an indistinguishable business name. However, the name reservation may be transferred from the original registrant to another. To transfer a name reservation from one registrant to another, please use the “Name Registration Update” form.
Please note that if a name is reserved by an attorney, law firm or service company on behalf of a client, the name does not have to be transferred to the client prior to final registration.

Here is the link - http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/upload/business/filingformsfeeschedule.aspx?page=251

CNTRL + F to find "reservation" and it should be there. $50 for 180 days.

Back