Old GE Freezer Restoration!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakenbacon

Reaction score
Ok so just picked up this awesome old freezer on craigslist for 40 bucks... and it works! I am planing on using it for me fermentation chest. Obviously the thing looks pretty bad now but I am gonna strip it, clean it, and paint it... Ill try to keep posting progress... Let me know what you guys think and if any body knows how old she might be... Thanks!

IMG_20111218_164115.jpg

IMG_20111218_164832.jpg

IMG_20111218_164843.jpg

IMG_20111218_164850.jpg

IMG_20111218_164908.jpg

Pretty sweet! I just got done building one out of a Haier 7 cubic foot freezer...not quite as cool looking as yours. How deep is it? I had to add a collar to mine so it would work the the variety of fermenters I have on hand. It'd be sweet if you could keep it as original as possible.

Hey jakenbacon,

Can you find a model # on your old GE freezer? I have one just like it and mine needs a new gasket seal around the top, but I can't order the gasket without knowing the GE freezer model # and I can't find a model number on my freezer. These are pretty cool old freezers! Mine works too but I have no idea how old it is. Hope you can write me back...

Hey guys and gals, I guess I am do for an update being that we are going on almost two years now.... The freezer didn't cool for long and now doesn't cool at all. Also the previous paint job I was attempting just wasn't cutting it. So sure enough, the freezer was lost to the shed. A terribly sad story I know.... But, after seeing some awesome keezers here and HBT, I was now motivated again to get this project going. Tomorrow I will get the inside dimensions and hopefully with all your help, we can guesstimate about how many corny's I will be able to fit in there. Thanks and here are some pics and progress reports!!!!

Pulling the old baby out.... You can see how I had already put a base coat on when I first started the project many months ago....

CAM00152[1].jpg

CAM00153[1].jpg

And the sanding begins.... Followed by a little bondo action. I decided to just go ahead and bondo the holes used to bolt the bottom latch on, being that it will be re-attached soon to a collar. Not bad for days work......

CAM00171[1].jpg

CAM00173[1].jpg

CAM00174[1].jpg

Back