British 1098 for Red Rye IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenheimer

Reaction score
I'm about to do a 12 gallon batch of Red Rye IPA (similar to Founders Red Rye) and I was thinking about splitting the batch and using 2 different yeasts. The recipe call for 1056 which I have done before and it is very good. But I have some washed British ale 1098 in the fridge as well. Anyone ever done a beer in this style with 1098? I'd rate to make 6 gallons of beer that doesn't taste good.

Here is the recipe
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/9099b119/weizenheimer-hoyles-red-rye-ipa-12-gallon

Cheers! Matt

I think it would probably turn out all right. I've used that yeast in a wee-heavy and another beer I can't recall at the moment...I liked the overall taste and think it would probably compliment a rye fairly well, perhaps give it a little more malt-forward characteristic. Let us know how it turns out!

The beers are in the 2ndary. Dry hopping the 1098 with amarillo, willamette, fugles, and hallertau that I had in the fridge. Hope they complement the british style. At the transfer the beer taste pretty darn good.

I'm interested in hearing your results. I have a fee jars of 1098 and am looking for a new use for it (I've used it with English ales, happily). I agree that it seems to be more neutral than other English yeasts.

Back