Apple tasting mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMarty911

Reaction score
And no there's no apples in it ;). It's very young - 2 weeks maybe. Is this a similar thing to homemade beer that's "green"? Also how long does mead take to clear? I have another simple mead going on near 2 months and it's nearly like day 1

I think that's often a trait of 'young' brews. Conventional wisdom says it needs at least 6 months aging to taste good. If you used any cane sugar in it, that is known for contributing to a cider taste. Ah I very much like your location.

My location? In Alberta you mean?

Thanks for the reply! I just found it odd my one mead tasted entirely different than the other with only 2 ish weeks difference in age.

Higher temperatures or different yeast strains can produce esters. Esters are also in fruit, hence your "apply" taste.

Apple or green apple taste is usually associated with acetaldehyde, and is indeed a "green" flavor that may age out with time...some yeast strains produce more than others. Leave it alone and let the yeast clean up after themselves, and often they will metabolize this out of your brew..

I'm generally pretty lazy when it comes to moving out of primary. I would say *at least* a month, and hopefully until you start to see the yeast clearing. I often leave mead in primary for 3-4 months, occasionally even bottle from primary if it clears enough. The whole autolysis thing is pretty much not a real issue for homebrewers...

Out of curiosity, what yeast strain are you using?

Back