How much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops4life

Reaction score
I am readying to brew a 5 gallon batch of a brown/black IPA probably this evening. It's for a local tasting/event coming up in early sept.

My issue lies in that I am a big hop head. So I am looking at a pretty high (I think) hop profile, but I am afraid I am overdoing it and it will blow out the pallet.

I am planning on this for hops -
1 oz warrior @ 60
1 oz each Simcoe, citra, summit. @ 10 min
Same 1 oz ea at 5 min

I think this will add a huge and complex profile, but is it too huge? Should I cut back to a 1/2 oz each per addition?

My malts/ grains are-
2 lb Maris otter
1 lb special b
1 lb de bitter black
1 lb Munich
7 lbs. dark LME

Anyone with any suggestions or input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Instead of a 10min and 5min addition, I'd split it between a 10min, a flamout steep, and some dryhop. But it's all personal preference! And I didn't plug into software to see where the IBU's are at...

My first thought would be to move the 5 minute addition to flameout. If you like hops, it sounds great to me.

You also have a "huge and complex" malt profile in there. Give us a report when it's done!

Have you made this or similar recipes before?

ETA: "Early September" is only a month away. Stop posting here, and get started brewing!

You're not overdoing it with the hops if you really love hops. I agree that dry hopping would help a lot, and I'd probably do what ChessRockwell suggests above.

Your malt looks like you've overdone the dark, though. Dark LME already has a lot of sweet and roasty flavors. I don't think Special B has a place in this recipe at all if you want the hops to shine through.

Beer smith has ibu at about 70.

Brew tonight gives me 3+ weeks in primary then keg for a few days before the event.

Sorry guys iPhone being a pain.

This is bordering on a black IIPA which I am happy with. May move to flameout as being suggested to increase the aroma a tad more.

I haven't done this recipe or similar before. I did a citrus red using citra that came out great. I stole this slightly from the alchemist/stone collab they did last winter. I LOVE the alchemist so trying to take a page from their book but not a direct clone by any means.

You're not overdoing it with the hops if you really love hops. I agree that dry hopping would help a lot, and I'd probably do what ChessRockwell suggests above.

Your malt looks like you've overdone the dark, though. Dark LME already has a lot of sweet and roasty flavors. I don't think Special B has a place in this recipe at all if you want the hops to shine through.

I agree that the "dark" is too much. Dark LME is caramelly and really really sweet, plus a pound of special B is too much.

I'd keep the hopping to 60/15/10/5/0/dryhopping and use pale LME instead of dark. I'd cut the special B, in half or even less. Special B is strongly sweet. I'd also cut the black malt, probably in half, but I can't see the percentages you're using. I like 90% base malts, 5% crystal, 5% debittered black malt for the grainbill. I like a lighter crystal rather than the special B, but that is probably just my taste.

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately for this batch I ordered from AHB do the grains are already mixed so the special b can't change. I am hoping the warrior counter balances a lot of the sweetness but only one way to find out!!

I may increase the batch size a tad to give me a few extras to bottle since this is all getting given away in a few weeks. Probably raise it to 5 1/2 or even 6 gallons. Afraid that might "thin" it a bit too much tho so most likely just do the 5 and bring a "light" keg.

Coming from a totally different direction, I'd cut the Special B to 6 oz. A pound will make it strangely sweet.

Just an update for anyone who is paying attention to this. Forgot to add I am using S-05 as my yeast.

Looks like all is in line to brew later tonight.

Everything seemed to go smoothly last night. No big mishaps that I was aware of. Color looks spot on and refractometer read my OG was pretty spot on.

Sitting in the ice bath this am no real bubbles in the airlock but I can see the lid is bowed a bit so I know the yeasties seem to have gotten going.

Now the hard part.......... Waiting.......

Back